× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot power PoE device UniFi U6-LR

coelho5br
Aspirant

Cannot power PoE device UniFi U6-LR

I have a NETGEAR 8-Port PoE Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch (GS108PEv3) and now it arrived my GS105PE.

I'm trying to turn on a single PoE Wi-fi device U6-LR where max power consuption is 16.5W according to the datasheet on the GS105PE.

The GS105PE turns on fine, but Port 1 where the U6-LR is connected keeps blinking green that manual says is a Port Fault.

Amazon link says the hub delivers 19W per port which should be fine.

No other PoE device on the GS108PEv3 or GS105PE.

Anything I'm missing?

Model: GS105PE|ProSafe Plus 5 ports switch with PoE pass through
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Cannot power PoE device UniFi U6-LR

Yes, you are missing a lot I'm afraid.

According to the U6-LR Data Sheet - leaving alonw the passive non-standard variant - the U6-LR is requiring a PoE+ (802.3at) PSE - these 16.5W not much above, but it's not sufficient.

Both the GS108PEv3 as well as the GS105PE offer PoE (802.3af) PSE on the ports. Either way, this is max 16.4 at the PSE, and max 15.4W per port on the PD - so definitively not sufficient to power a PoE+ device like the U6-LR - that's why there is a Power Fault: The AP does request more than the GS108PEv3 can supply on a port.

The information on the GS105PE says: PoE pass-thru: 19W with 802.3at/7.9W with 802.3af input power. If powering from a PoE+ 802.3at PSE, the power limit for both PoE 802.3af ports is a total of max. 19W - this does not allow the first 802.3af PoE port to supply more than these 16.4 W at the PSE, resp. max 15.4W at the PD - and it still does signal (all IEEE standard PoE-versions work strictly on wht is negotiated on the PoE "link"). Here again, the AP does request more than the GS108PEv3 can supply on a port - thus agin a Power Fault.

It's not about what the teachers told us on the intro to electricity - IEEE PoE-versions are much smarter. The AP does request Class 4 PoE+, but the switch has only max Class 3 (or Class 0, the default unspecified variant) PoE available on the port. 

FMI: GS105PE: PoE troubleshooting 

Message 2 of 4
coelho5br
Aspirant

Awesome! Thanks for the answer and explanation!
Only one thing is that GS108PEv3 does power fine the U6-LR, I have no issue when powering direct, but certanly have with the GS105PE  in the middle

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@coelho5br wrote:

Only one thing is that GS108PEv3 does power fine the U6-LR, I have no issue when powering direct, ...

This is more a side-effect than a true intention. But I can note the Netgear WAX620 for example does allow the same why ever. Strictly to the specs this should not work - and some limitations like reduced output power/reach for example (or worst case unintended reboots under full load) can apply.

@coelho5br wrote:

... but certanly have with the GS105PE  in the middle

With just a PoE 802.3af PSE port supplying power to the GS105PE, only one PoE port will be useable, the max negoteateable output power (just one one port) is a 802.3af Class 1 (4.4W at the PSE) or Class 2 (7.6W at the PSE) .

You might want to try a PoE+ 802.3at power source for the GS105PE instead.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements