× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changing management VLAN on GS308EP

chrisb1234
Aspirant

Changing management VLAN on GS308EP

Hi,

I got a GS308EP Switch today an when configuring the VLAN settings I wanted to change the mangement VLAN. I found no setting for this. Is there no possibility and the switch is accessible from all VLANs?

If there is no possibility: Is there another 8-port PoE Switch that supports changeing the management VLAN-ID?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Changing management VLAN on GS308EP

@chrisb1234 wrote:

I got a GS308EP Switch today an when configuring the VLAN settings I wanted to change the mangement VLAN. I found no setting for this. Is there no possibility and the switch is accessible from all VLANs?

It is (or was) a product management decision on the Plus series (any xSnnnE[P[P]]) - coming from hardware limitations on earlier Plus series models - not requiring a management VLAN. Needless to say, beyond the obvious security impact, it's very unhandy if a switch management can pick-up IP addresses from different VLANs and IP subnets.

Some advanced models like certain XS512EM/XS724EM have it, other coming-up MultiGig MSxxxE[P|UP] are promised to get the management VLAN feature after the product release on a maintenance version. No idea if this will be possible for the GS3xxE[P[P]] models like the 305, 308 and 316, too.

@chrisb1234 wrote:

If there is no possibility: Is there another 8-port PoE Switch that supports changeing the management VLAN-ID?

All Smart Managed switches (GS|MS|XSnnnT[...], earlier designated Smart Manged Pro) and of course all fully managed switches are supporting a real management VLAN out of the box. Model selection depends on the PoE standard and total bower budget.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@chrisb1234 wrote:

It is (or was) a product management decision on the Plus series (any xSnnnE[P[P]]) - coming from hardware limitations on earlier Plus series models - not requiring a management VLAN. Needless to say, beyond the obvious security impact, it's very unhandy if a switch management can pick-up IP addresses from different VLANs and IP subnets.

Some advanced models like certain XS512EM/XS724EM have it, other coming-up MultiGig MSxxxE[P|UP] are promised to get the management VLAN feature after the product release on a maintenance version. No idea if this will be possible for the GS3xxE[P[P]] models like the 305, 308 and 316, too.

@chrisb1234 wrote:

All Smart Managed switches (GS|MS|XSnnnT[...], earlier designated Smart Manged Pro) and of course all fully managed switches are supporting a real management VLAN out of the box. Model selection depends on the PoE standard and total bower budget.

Message 2 of 3
chrisb1234
Aspirant

Thank you for the detailled answer! In this case, the GS310TP seams to be my perfect pick.

It's unfortunate, that this circumstance isn't really clear on the product pages. At least I didn't find this restriction before trying to configure the switch.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements