× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Creating a VLAN on GS724Tv4 to separate three subnets from each other

pakl
Aspirant

Creating a VLAN on GS724Tv4 to separate three subnets from each other

Hi,

i have a question regarding the configuration of VLANs to separate two subnets with three logical networks from each other on the GS724Tv4. In general that should be a fairly easy task but i cannot get it working.

I would like to implement the following:

- VLAN1: Port 1 - 8 for the subnet 10.0.1.0/24

- VLAN2: Port 9 - 16 for the subnet 10.0.2.0/24

- VLAN3: Port 17 - 24 for the subnet 10.0.2.0/24 (the same as VLAN2, but groups VoIP phones)

The VLANs should be completely separated such that broadcasts and DHCP requests in one VLAN should not be forwarded to the other VLANs. Each VLAN has a separate connection to another device for the uplink which also contains a proper DHCP server. Here, VLAN1 is connected to router 1 and VLAN2&3 is connected to router 2 (VLAN 2 & 3 span two trees in the same subnet).

What i have done up to this point:

- I left the management VLAN as 1 and removed the ports 9 - 24 from VLAN 1 (untagged)

- I created two another VLANs with the ports 9-16 and 17-24, respectively (all untagged)

- I set the PVID for all the ports respectively to the correct VLAN. For example, port 10 got the PVID 4 (VLAN 2)

Unfortunately, this configuration does not seem to work, as the connected devices cannot see the internet.

Did I have done anything wrong? 

Thank you in advance!

Model: GS724Tv4|ProSafe 24 ports Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: Creating a VLAN on GS724Tv4 to separate three subnets from each other

Permitting everything is configured as you describe, the correct devices are plugged to the correct ports, the router ports are untagged and work when connecting test devices to the respective router ports will make them get an IP address for the intended subnet and subsequently "reach the Internet" - some effort in troubleshooting would make some sense.

As you have not made any changes on the VLAN 1 and the related ports 1..8 - hard to imagine why this default VLAN should not work. Have started from a factory default cofg?

A good starting point might be having an eye on Switching > Address Table > Basic > Address Table - there you can see if the router and devices are really connected to the VLANs as expected. 

Routing is disabled?

@pakl wrote:

- VLAN2: Port 9 - 16 for the subnet 10.0.2.0/24

- VLAN3: Port 17 - 24 for the subnet 10.0.2.0/24 (the same as VLAN2, but groups VoIP phones)

The VLANs should be completely separated such that broadcasts and DHCP requests in one VLAN should not be forwarded to the other VLANs. ... VLAN2&3 is connected to router 2 (VLAN 2 & 3 span two trees in the same subnet). ... 

Not sure what you intend to achieve - this will connect broadcast, DHCP, ... for this subnet together again. Unlikely the router will isolate things here as in general a VLAN is representing one network with one IP subnet.

@pakl wrote:

For example, port 10 got the PVID 4 (VLAN 2)

Such a design is a good start into a nightmare. VLAN2 is configured to be VLAN 4 thus PVID is 4? 

Message 2 of 5
pakl
Aspirant

Hi, 

thank you for the answer.

As you have not made any changes on the VLAN 1 and the related ports 1..8 - hard to imagine why this default VLAN should not work. Have started from a factory default cofg?

Yes, i started from a factory resetted switch.

A good starting point might be having an eye on Switching > Address Table > Basic > Address Table - there you can see if the router and devices are really connected to the VLANs as expected.

Okay, thanks. I will check that.

Not sure what you intend to achieve - this will connect broadcast, DHCP, ... for this subnet together again. Unlikely the router will isolate things here as in general a VLAN is representing one network with one IP subnet.

Actually, this is a good point. What i want to achieve is that i can prioritize the VLAN with the IP-Phones.

But it may be a better idea to have only two VLANs in my situation, one for each subnet and then prioritize the phones only on port-basis if this is possible.

Such a design is a good start into a nightmare. VLAN2 is configured to be VLAN 4 thus PVID is 4? 

Sorry for the confusion, i meant the following:

VLAN 1 (Default): Port 1 - 8 for the subnet 10.0.1.0/24

VLAN 4: Port 9 - 16 for the subnet 10.0.2.0/24

VLAN 5: Port 17 - 24 for the subnet 10.0.2.0/24

If i change the VLAN config, do I have to reconnect the cables even if the subnet does not change?

Message 3 of 5
pakl
Aspirant

I think I have identified the problem:

As soon as I plug in the second uplink (in the same subnet), VLAN 5 is not reachable anymore.

However, this should not happen, because both VLANs (4 & 5) should react as separate switches...?

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@pakl wrote:

As soon as I plug in the second uplink (in the same subnet), VLAN 5 is not reachable anymore.

Don't understand what you are doing or asking here.

Provide exact details of VLAN configuration, port VLAN config/membership/trunk whatever.

@pakl wrote:

However, this should not happen, because both VLANs (4 & 5) should react as separate switches...?

A VLAN makes up a network, not a switch.

There are protocols like STP or RSTP which span the complete physical network for example. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements