× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108E or later MIB

baqwas
Aspirant

GS108E or later MIB

Hello,

Is there a public repository for Netgear managed switches? I need some very, very basic (e.g. name, number,...) data returned from Netgear switches through SNMP requests. What the most practical approach to obtaining a sample set?

I tried the following command but it returned a timeout error:

snmpwalk -v1 -c public 192.168.0.184 -m ALL .1

All the links in related articles at the forum have expired. I have three different Netgear managed switches. I am unable to find the corresponding MIBs. Any search guidance would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

Kind regards.

P.S.

The models are:

• GS516TP (I have two high level strings for these that return SNMP responses but I would like to have few more)
  • GS108Ev3 (I have nothing)
  • GS516TP (I have nothing)
Model: GS108Ev3|ProSafe 8 ports Gigabit Plus switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS108E or later MIB

Smart Managed Plus (like GSnnnE[xx], XSnnnE[xx] - any hardware v[x] versions) don't have any SNMP support, never will.

For switches supporting SNMP and private enterprise extensions, the SNMP MIB are (or are supposed to be) available along with the firmware downloads on https://netgear.com/support 

For switches supporting SNMP standard MIBs, the supported ones are listed in the Web UI under System > SNMP > SNMP v1/v2 > Supported MIBS (as certainly shown in the GS516TP Software Administration Manual).

Chime back in case you discover the GC516TP does return Netgear private enterprise OIDs under .1.3.6.1.4.1.4526  so we can push Netger to publish a download.

Aside, it's possible there is a protection configured on the switch, restricting the (resource intensive) recursive or mass poll of all OIDs.

PS. You've talked of three models, but only refer to GS108E and the GS516TP. 

PPS. Would love to point you to the appropriate MIBs for Smart switches - however the listing is very incomplete, and it's misleadingly shows several GSnnnE[xx], XSnnnE[xx] under the applicable models. The referred public source contains a good repo for standard SNMP RFC MIB and e.g. Netgear (private enterprise 4526).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Smart Managed Plus (like GSnnnE[xx], XSnnnE[xx] - any hardware v[x] versions) don't have any SNMP support, never will.

For switches supporting SNMP and private enterprise extensions, the SNMP MIB are (or are supposed to be) available along with the firmware downloads on https://netgear.com/support 

For switches supporting SNMP standard MIBs, the supported ones are listed in the Web UI under System > SNMP > SNMP v1/v2 > Supported MIBS (as certainly shown in the GS516TP Software Administration Manual).

Chime back in case you discover the GC516TP does return Netgear private enterprise OIDs under .1.3.6.1.4.1.4526  so we can push Netger to publish a download.

Aside, it's possible there is a protection configured on the switch, restricting the (resource intensive) recursive or mass poll of all OIDs.

PS. You've talked of three models, but only refer to GS108E and the GS516TP. 

PPS. Would love to point you to the appropriate MIBs for Smart switches - however the listing is very incomplete, and it's misleadingly shows several GSnnnE[xx], XSnnnE[xx] under the applicable models. The referred public source contains a good repo for standard SNMP RFC MIB and e.g. Netgear (private enterprise 4526).

Message 2 of 4
baqwas
Aspirant

Hello @schumak,

Thank you very much for the thorough and perfectly rational explanation of my predicament. As you can well imagine, my newbie ignorance is on full display on so many fronts that sometimes I wish I could learn more.

Best wishes and kind regards.

Message 3 of 4
baqwas
Aspirant

Hello @schumaku,

The GS516TP is fine for my limited SNMP use (i.e. Nagios NRPE access). Thanks to your reply I will now explore a few more additional fields.

Kind regards.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements