× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS308E lan speed problem

Janik
Tutor

GS308E lan speed problem

Hello,

So I've a weird problem between two network switches.

My network setup is like this:

Modem <-> Switch 1 <-> Switch 2

Between switch 1 and switch 2 I have a 1000Mbps connection with all the old hardware (switch 1 = TL-SG105E, switch 2 = TL-SG1005D).

Recently I decided to updgrade Switch 2 to the GS308E.

When testing the new GS308E I saw that the speed was reduced to 100Mbps and I can't understand why.

If I put in between Switch 1 and Switch 2 the old switch I have 1000Mbps connection again and this is also seen in the port status of the GS308E.

Can someone explain what is wrong?

Model: GS308E|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: GS308E lan speed problem

Whenever you're running through multiple devices, its good to simplify the setup for testing. Try removing a switch or moving the new switch next to the old one and connecting with a shorter/good cable. Try the gs308 directly off the modem and check to see if it  gets gigabit speeds. Basically remove variables to try to find out exactly where the breakdown is coming from. 

Even try different cables. I've seen sketchy cat 5e cables work at gigabit on one device while only 10/100 on the next. 

What modem is it? 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Whenever you're running through multiple devices, its good to simplify the setup for testing. Try removing a switch or moving the new switch next to the old one and connecting with a shorter/good cable. Try the gs308 directly off the modem and check to see if it  gets gigabit speeds. Basically remove variables to try to find out exactly where the breakdown is coming from. 

Even try different cables. I've seen sketchy cat 5e cables work at gigabit on one device while only 10/100 on the next. 

What modem is it? 

Message 2 of 4
Janik
Tutor

Hello plemans,

When testing the devices next to each other they worked fine (thanks for the tip).

So I decided to test the cable (which is a cat6 shielded).

All seemed fine according to the cable tester, but decided to recrimp the plugs just in case.

This solved the problem as one of the plugs was not crimped entirely correct (and luckily for me it was the first one I redid).

Just to comment a bit further I didn't test the internet speed so modem (which is going to be replaced byh ISP anyway) wasn't influencing the speed.

I tested the speed between the two switches with iperf (also you can tell by the lights at the back as well for quick inspection and log in to the switches and check the port status).

Now onto my next endeavour of setting up vlan and hope I don't mess that up

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Glad it was a simple fix! Its always frustrating when something worked fine before and a new device causes issues. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements