× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

IP Address of GS750E

maladu
Follower

IP Address of GS750E

The default IP config for my GS750E is DHCP enabled which got it an IP of 192.168.0.239 (the default if there is no DHCP server) and gateway 192.168.0.254. My VLAN1/default is on 192.168.1.xxx and VLAN2 on 192.168.2.xxx. Hence, I cannot access the switch from any devices on those VLANs. Instead, I have to hook up another computer (or temporarily change the IP of one on VLAN1/2) to access the switch through the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility. Is this common practice or is the switch typically put on a static IP that is within the default VLAN?

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: IP Address of GS750E

@maladu wrote:

The default IP config for my GS750E is DHCP enabled which got it an IP of 192.168.0.239 (the default if there is no DHCP server) and gateway 192.168.0.254.

Correct interpretation from the manual. Despite it's not a DHCP assigned IP config.

@maladu wrote:

My VLAN1/default is on 192.168.1.xxx and VLAN2 on 192.168.2.xxx.

Have no DHCP server on one of these VLANs? 

@maladu wrote:

Hence, I cannot access the switch from any devices on those VLANs. Instead, I have to hook up another computer (or temporarily change the IP of one on VLAN1/2) to access the switch through the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility.

Keep in mind the utility is no longer maintained and EoL. Similar, recent firmware updates have disabled the config access for the NSDP protocol so this process is no longer feasible. Granted, you can keep the NSDP protocol config enabled, it's a certain risk.

@maladu wrote:

Is this common practice or is the switch typically put on a static IP that is within the default VLAN?

Register the switch MAC address on your preferred DHCP for an address reservation so it does always get the defined IP address. Remember, these switches don't allow the config for a fixed management VLAN when I have this right.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements