× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up VLAN and DHCP

Kgey181
Aspirant

Setting up VLAN and DHCP

Hello community,
for some time now I have bee tinkering with setting up VLANs on my network. I have read and watched a number of explinations which explain what a VLAN is "literally" without going much into it's setup and working. As I am getting a lot of grief from my wife, who's working from home, whenever I stuff up the network I'm putting it out here before I do my next try.

What I am trying to do is in the attached file.

I have configured the Unifi USG to be the DHCP server for the default network and VLAN100 as 10.0.0.0/24 and 10.0.100.0/24, default G/W 10.0.0.138 and 10.0.100.1 repectively.

On the GS724Tv4 I used the VLAN wizard to set up VLAN100 with IP address of 10.0.100.1Heart/24 tagging both ports 13 and 17 as "T" because they are carrying both VLAN100 and Default packets. For There are no other devices on VLAN100. The Wizard set PVID's of 100 for ports 13 and 24.

This also set ports 13 and 24 to " " in VLAN1.

Through "Switching/VLAN/Advanced/VLAN membership" - I set port 13 to "T" leaving 24 blank.(Should I also have change this to "T"?) 

This added VLAN 1 to PVID for Port 13.

The way I see this as working is:

Devices connected to VLAN 1 ports simply get DHCP from the USG. Tagged as VLAN1 over port 13.

WiFI devices connecting to normal WLAN get DHCP from USG. Tagged as VLAN1 over ports 24 then 13.

WiFI devices connecting to Guest WLAN get DHCP from USG. Tagged as VLAN100 over ports 24 then 13.

Internet packets will be tagged accordingly.

Questions.

First up - am I wrong?

Why I put the heart in was I'm unsure if I should have used 10.0.100.0/24 to get the interface address of 10.0.100.1.

Must any port that is a member of more than 1 VLAN be set as "T" for each VLAN that it is a member of?

Will I have an issue with the Telstra SmartModem also being a DHCP server?

If I wanted the NAS to be used on VLAN100 as well will I also need to set its port (8) to "T" for both and associated PVID's?

Model: GS724Tv4|ProSafe 24 ports Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Setting up VLAN and DHCP

@Kgey181,

Through "Switching/VLAN/Advanced/VLAN membership" - I set port 13 to "T" leaving 24 blank.(Should I also have change this to "T"?) 

Is the Unifi AP-AC LR a VLAN-aware device?  If yes, then port 24 should be set as tagged  (T) port with a PVID of 1.  Port 24 should be a member of all VLANs. 

Why I put the heart in was I'm unsure if I should have used 10.0.100.0/24 to get the interface address of 10.0.100.1.

The 10.0.100.0/24 is the network address.  

Must any port that is a member of more than 1 VLAN be set as "T" for each VLAN that it is a member of?

Tagged (T) ports are referred as trunk ports.  The ports wherein VLAN-aware devices are directly connected should be set as tagged ports with a PVID of 1 and it should be a member of all VLANS.  Examples of VLAN-aware devices are Access Points and VoIP phones.

Is the Telstra SmartModem a modem-only device or a modem-router combo?  If its a modem-router combo, then you have a Double NAT setup because the UniFi USG router is connected behind it.  To know more about Double NAT, click here

If I wanted the NAS to be used on VLAN100 as well will I also need to set its port (8) to "T" for both and associated PVID's?

If your NAS is a VLAN-aware device, you will need to set port 8 (I believe that is where the NAS is connected because it is not labeled on the network diagram) as a tagged port with a PVID of 1. Port 8 should be a member of all VLANS.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Kgey181,

Is the Unifi AP-AC LR a VLAN-aware device?  If yes, then port 24 should be set as tagged  (T) port with a PVID of 1.  Port 24 should be a member of all VLANs. 

The 10.0.100.0/24 is the network address.  

Tagged (T) ports are referred as trunk ports.  The ports wherein VLAN-aware devices are directly connected should be set as tagged ports with a PVID of 1 and it should be a member of all VLANS.  Examples of VLAN-aware devices are Access Points and VoIP phones.

Is the Telstra SmartModem a modem-only device or a modem-router combo?  If its a modem-router combo, then you have a Double NAT setup because the UniFi USG router is connected behind it.  To know more about Double NAT, click here

If your NAS is a VLAN-aware device, you will need to set port 8 (I believe that is where the NAS is connected because it is not labeled on the network diagram) as a tagged port with a PVID of 1. Port 8 should be a member of all VLANS.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
Kgey181
Aspirant

Thank you DaneA, This is my setup and it is working.

Message 3 of 4
Kgey181
Aspirant

Other than the thank you, Please disregard my last post.

This is my setup now, and it is working as required.

VLAN 1 is the default with the USG plugged into port 6.

VLAN 50 will be my Data and PC VLAN though it has nothing atm.

VLAN 100 is for Guests through my WiFi AP. (yes it is VLAN aware) on Port 24.

VLAN 150 is for my media, TVs smart DVDs etc.

During my trial and error experimentation I thought I had to set the "Configured PVID" to the VLAN. Should I change this back to 1 ? or will it not make a difference ?

I would also note that during my investigation/learning process I found many sites explaining "What" a VLAN was but I didn't see anything on PVID tables and what they mean.

Thank you again

Kevin

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements