× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VLAN tagging and PVID

benn_1703
Aspirant

VLAN tagging and PVID

Hi,

I am new to Netgear switches so apologies if I have missed something basic, I have a HP switching background.

I have come across a port configuration which has the same VLAN as tagged as well as the PVID. Please see an example below using VLAN 300 on port xg1:

interface xg1
mtu 9198
vlan pvid 300
vlan participation auto 1
vlan participation include 100,200,300,400,500
vlan tagging 100,200,300,400,500
exit

Would the traffic for VLAN 300 be seen as untagged (PVID) or tagged in this instance? From what i can gather from user guides/other forum posts is that unless there is a specific "vlan untagged" statement this traffic would be seen as tagged but would just like some confirmation.

Thanks!

Model: XS716T|16-Port 10-Gigabit Copper Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 Copper/SFP+ Combo Ports
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: VLAN tagging and PVID

The untagged config for 300 does make the switch removing the tags on outgoing frames, the PVID 300 config does add the tag for VLAN 300 assigning the untagged traffic to the VLAN 300.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Show the related Web UI VLAN configs - the Web UI is the only supported way to manage these devices.

In brief, the PVID config (a feature coming from the ability of overloading VLANs [mostly not supported on Netgear switches]) does define the VLAN incoming untagged frames are associated to - so if VLAN ID 300 is intended to be untagged (access port, or on a trunk port) the PIVD must be set to 300, too. Said that, only one VLAN should must be configured as [U]ntagged - lack of support for 802.1q asymetric VLANs.

Message 2 of 4
benn_1703
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I only have CLI outputs for this switch. From what I gather from the reply it would appear the PVID takes precedence over the VLAN tagging statement and therefore the VLAN 300 traffic would be seen as untagged in this instance.

It was more so for me to understand to behaviour of such a port config where historically from what I have seen if you had a PVID set and then added it also the same VLAN ID as tagged you would only have one or the other.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

The untagged config for 300 does make the switch removing the tags on outgoing frames, the PVID 300 config does add the tag for VLAN 300 assigning the untagged traffic to the VLAN 300.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements