× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Vlan across Multiple swtiches to Windows DHCP Server

RQIT
Aspirant

Vlan across Multiple swtiches to Windows DHCP Server

I am very new to VLAN and want to know if the following can be done.

I have searched through and not found anything that helps me solve this.

I have a Windows DHCP Server with scope 1, 2 and 3.

I have Switch 1 M4300-28G (GSM4328S) with dhcp server on port 20 Tagged. LAG 2 as trunk to Switch 2.

Switch 2 M4300-52G-PoE+ (GSM4352PB) with LAG 1 as trunk (to Switch 1) and LAG 2 as trunk to Switch 3.

Switch 3 M4300-28G (GSM4328S) with LAG 2 as trunk (Switch2) and port 3 as untagged (Connecting to PC).

I have Devices on all switches but want to route only certain VLAN to the DHCP Server to Receive IP address for that range.

I setup VLAN 65 on all switches (192.168.65.0). VLAN1 runs all other devices on the switches and hands out (192.168.0.0).

Swtich1 - Port 20 (T) - DHCP Server | Port 51,52 - LAG 2 (T) Trunk

Switch2 - Port 48,49 - LAG 1 (T) | Port 51,52 - LAG 2 (T) Trunk

Switch3 - Port 51,52 - LAG 2 (T)| Port 3 (U) - Device.

DHCP Relay - Admin Mode Enabled.

DHCP Relay L2 - Admin Mode Enabled

UDP Relay - Admin Mode Enabled and Set the DHCP Server ip with DHCP port.

The Computer does not get an ip.

If i Use the Gateway as a relay to the DHCP it then gets an IP but doing so slows the network down to 1gbps as it then routes the traffic through it.

How can i get the device to communicate directly with the DHCP Server to receive IP address from the correct range.

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Vlan across Multiple swtiches to Windows DHCP Server

In short, the Windows Server is unaware of the VLAN and doesn’t care. It simply relies on its physical uplink to do any VLAN tagging for it to communicate appropriately. However, this means that if you want to have a Windows Server to be a part of multiple VLANs, it means you need a physical uplink for each separate VLAN, since it is relying on the switch to tag the traffic appropriately for a specific VLAN.

On a Windows Server 2019 server for example, you can specify the Bindings for the Windows DHCP Server so that it knows which interfaces to LISTEN for DHCP on.

Message 2 of 3
RQIT
Aspirant

Re: Vlan across Multiple swtiches to Windows DHCP Server

Thank you for the reply.

Does this hold true even in VM setups?

So adding multiple Physical LAN to the DHCP server to serve each scope will solve this?

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements