Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD - Lack of notice

l087550m5i
Tutor

NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD - Lack of notice

Sounds like this is EOL:

"NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by April 4th, 2023. ReadyCLOUD mobile app, desktop application, and ReadyCLOUD web portal readycloud.netgear.com will all be terminated by April 4th, 2023. After that date, you can continue to access locally your ReadyNAS, or access locally the USB drive connected to the routers, but remote access won’t be available."

Not only is this very very frustrating to see the product being canned like this.  The communication has been non-existent at best.

By chance I logged into the readycloud site and got the notice just now.  How come there is no email?  How come the app that will go dead doesn't show anything.  How come there is no notice on the site when you're not logged in.  It seems to be the lowest effort to check the EOL box.

Message 1 of 27
StephenB
Guru

If you are looking for alternatives, the two main ones discussed here are ZeroTier and OpenVPN.

Message 2 of 27
JohnS530
Guide

Seems to be a change of date for EOL, with no notice. I had a plan in place, with an execution date of May 1, but now i have to move up the schedule. So now I need a temp solution until the permanent plan can be executed.

Probably SharePoint.

Message 3 of 27
l087550m5i
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

If you are looking for alternatives, the two main ones discussed here are ZeroTier and OpenVPN.

I saw the other discussions, thanks.  My issue is that I have been using the cloud accounts as advertised and setup family sharing / cloud backup service for everyone.  Using the cloud accounts it was basic but worked.  I'm not looking forward to setting up VPN for everyone and dealing with the support of all these Android / iOS and Desktop devices.  Before it was, download the app and login.

Right now I'm exploring syncthing and resilio but I'm really on the backfoot here.

Message 4 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@l087550m5i wrote:

Right now I'm exploring syncthing and resilio but I'm really on the backfoot here.

FWIW, I do use resillio sync, but it is set up on a PC, not the NAS.  It can be used to back up at least some things on mobile devices (photos for example).  

Message 5 of 27
NiveditaP
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @JohnS530 

The date of terminating the ReadyCloud had been extended to July 1st, 2023.

Note : NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. ReadyCLOUD mobile app, desktop application, and ReadyCLOUD web portal readycloud.netgear.com will all be terminated by July 1st, 2023. After that date, you can continue to access locally your ReadyNAS, or access locally the USB drive connected to the routers, but remote access won’t be available.

Have a lovely day, 
Nivedita Pa
Netgear Team 

Message 6 of 27
JohnS530
Guide

Great, except the readycloud VPN has not been working for weeks now.

So essentially, readycloud is already dead.

Message 7 of 27
seanriddolls
Initiate

I am unclear on why the ReadyCloud service is being shut down.   If it's because it's not profitable (the usual reason for discontinuing a service), why not just convert it to a subscription-based service that brings in monthly revenue to support this infrastructure?

I would gladly pay a monthly fee to continue using this service uninterrupted.

Message 8 of 27
Dan001
Guide

I'm thinking of moving to this

Synology DiskStation DS220+ 2-Bay NAS Enclosure

Looks like it has a good file sharing interface, has any one used it? Thoughts?

Message 9 of 27
schumaku
Guru

@JohnS530 wrote:

Great, except the readycloud VPN has not been working for weeks now.

The Java-based ReadyCloud desktop client "VPN" application is obsolete and cumbersome for a longer time. It's not required to install and operate the ReadyCloud Desktop application for using the Web-based ReadyCloud portal. 

@JohnS530 wrote:

So essentially, readycloud is already dead.

Negative. The https://readycloud.netgear.com/ portal is still up and workable.

Message 10 of 27
JohnS530
Guide

Yes, I just bought a Synology NAS as a long-term permanent replacement solution to NetGear ReadyNAS. I find the pricing is good, the hardware is good, the options are good. But if you need a replacement for the ReadyCloud (VPN), they do not have it. You basically have to build a VPN Server on the Synology NAS, and then use either the OS VPN built-in, or a third-party VPN on the client side. Not nearly as nice as the Windows ReadyCloud desktop app I use now.

Message 11 of 27
JohnS530
Guide

I have been using ZeroTier for almost 4 months, since the ReadyCloud VPN became extremely unreliable for weeks, back in early March 2023. They did finally fix it and as of this moment, it is working, just in time to shut it down.

But you can switch over to ZeroTier using the instructions found on this community site. It does take some minor effort and maybe minor adjustments. (I had to adapt the instructions to my NAS). But it works well. It does not give you access to the Admin Console on the NAS, but good file sharing access in Windows Explorer (Mapped Network Drive).

Message 12 of 27
RaedyNas
Aspirant

@l087550m5i wrote:

I've had syncthing running on a readynas for about 1 year now. Seems to be slow to re scan if there is a large (>1TB) amount of files.

Message 13 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

Negative. The https://readycloud.netgear.com/ portal is still up and workable.

FWIW, there were issues with Macs that I don't think ever got fixed.

More on point, Netgear's announcement said they were discontinuing it today ( 1 July 2023).  It still seems to up right now, but I wouldn't count on that lasting very long.

Message 14 of 27
Sandshark
Sensei

As for your replacement, I frankly don't understand why anyone would buy a 2-bay NAS.  In order to increase space, you'll have to replace both drives.  Starting with a 4-bay NAS and two drives, you have two slots you can use for additional drives for increasing space.

ZeroTier is also my remote access method of choice.  It has several advantages (IMHO) over ReadyCloud (NAS-to_NAS for remote backup being the one I use most), though you'll also need a separate sync system if you use ReadyCloud for that (I don't use any sync).  Plus, it works on other brands.  So, you can switch to another brand of NAS and still use ZeroTier, possibly turning your old ReadyNAS into a backup system. 

Message 15 of 27
Dan001
Guide

JohnS530 - Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Message 16 of 27
Dan001
Guide

SandShark - Thanks for the feedback, yeah - understand your 2 bay concern, but I'm currently using the Nighthawk Router version (USB Drive) of ReadyCloud (home personal use), not the NAS version. But you definitely make a good point. I'll also take a look at ZeroTier. Thanks.

Message 17 of 27
Dan001
Guide

Since I don't have a NAS but use ReadyShare via my router-USB port I'll now be looking into ASUS:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-to-turn-your-asus-router-into-a-nas/

"Buying a NAS (Network Attached Storage) solution can be expensive and overkill for most home users. A more affordable option is to get an external hard drive or SSD and connect it to your router using the USB port. You can then set up the router to share the drive with your network or the internet to build your own "cloud storage." If you have an ASUS wireless router or an ASUS mesh Wi-Fi system, here's how to turn it into a NAS using a USB hard disk or SSD:"

Stay tuned

Message 18 of 27
Fletch360
Guide

Same

I guess I'll be taking my custom elsewhere

Message 19 of 27
Sandshark
Sensei

I've never used that kind of solution.  But you may want to post in the proper section (this is the NAS section) and see what options are available for local or VPN access of your files.  But I agree that you are in a better place cost-wise to change to another company than those who have invested in a NAS.

I did want to comment that the article you reference doesn't even take into consideration that a NAS typically uses RAID, providing some protection from drive failures as well as expandability.  That they consider those "overkill" is, IMHO, very short sighted.  If you also have real cloud storage and you want a local way of accessing files faster, then it's certainly a good option.  But to say it's a replacement for a NAS is simply not true.

Message 20 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I did want to comment that the article you reference doesn't even take into consideration that a NAS typically uses RAID, providing some protection from drive failures as well as expandability.  

@Dan001 Backup is also a consideration (for any technology, including NAS).  USB drives (like all drives) will fail.

The speed in the article is measured with an SSD drive. FWIW, I think the USB drive market is largely driven by price and not performance.  Many mechanical USB drives use SMR, which can be very slow for sustained writes.  

If you are thinking about purchasing an ASUS router for this, then I suggest you also look at single bay NAS.  Several companies make them (Synology, QNAP, and Buffalo at least), and cost is similar to a router.  Everything would be nicely integrated (instead of cobbled together).

Message 21 of 27
Johnny100
Initiate

I got NETGEAR Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800 (smart router)

I paid for this product a lot of money, It was an expensive one, I paid since it included the option for:
  • Ready Cloud
  • Parental Controls

about 2 years ago NETGEAR suddenly stopped supporting parental control

These days, NETGEAR suddenly stopped supporting "Ready Cloud".

Does NETGEAR products only good for 1-2 years?

why NETGEAR stopped a service that runs from a hardware that I paid for?

Is it legal or not? I'm not sure.

I will definitely never buy any NETGEAR equipment ever again.
Message 22 of 27
jwgmorley
Aspirant

I moved house and have only just got round to setting my NAS back up. Had been doing everything via PC until yesterday when I went to use the app remotely! Bit peeved by this however unlike others I didn’t access it remotely much at all and I’ll have had it 10 years come Nov. 

Message 23 of 27
NiveditaP3
NETGEAR Expert

Hello @l087550m5i & @jwgmorley ,

We've sent emails to all of our customers; if a user hasn't logged into the app for the past 90 days, he didn't receive the email or failed to read it.Additionally, we have disseminated the termination notification via apps and websites.

Have a lovely day, 
Nivedita Pa
Netgear Team 

Message 24 of 27
BDK-61
Initiate

**bleep** you Netgear

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements