× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Accessing Plex Media Server Library Files

herbg
Aspirant

Accessing Plex Media Server Library Files

I'm trying to access my Plex Media Server files on my ReadyNas 516.   The files reside in the
following directory: 

/apps/plexmediaserver/MediaLibrary/Plex Media Server/

However, despite having SMB and FTP enabled for all shares, I cannot see these files from my WIN10 PC.  I need to access these files so I can copy them to my new Media Server.  I am not a Linux user so am uncomfortable tryint to access them other than through my Windows PC.

Any suggestions on what might be going on?

Thanks,
Herb... 

Model: RN51664E|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay 6x4TB Enterprise Drive
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
herbg
Aspirant

Re: Accessing Plex Media Server Library Files

Fantastic!! Your clear instructions are perfect!!  I followed them exactly and can now see the Plex files I'm looking for.  Thank you for your support.  I'll let you know how it goes!

Cheers,
Herb...

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Are you talking about configuration files?  None of the media files should be there.  The apps directory is intentionally not made accessible via server protocols, as it would be too easy for someone to screw something up or even put a Trojan there if it were.  You can only access it via SSH.

Message 2 of 5
herbg
Aspirant

Yes, I am referring only to the configuration files ... not the media.  

I'm trying to copy the PLEX media library files that are located in /apps/plexmediaserver/MediaLibrary/Plex Media Server/
on the NAS.  
The "preferences.xml" file needs to be included as well. ee this link for more info:   https://support.plex.tv/articles/201370363-move-an-install-to-another-system/

I don't know how to operate "SSH" and thought I could go into my Windows folder for the NAS (SMB is enabled) and simply copy these files to the new location.   These files are hidden and my attempts to access them have failed.

That's what I'm hoping to get help with.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@herbg wrote:

I'm trying to copy the PLEX media library files that are located in /apps/plexmediaserver/MediaLibrary/Plex Media Server/
on the NAS.  ...

I don't know how to operate "SSH" and thought I could go into my Windows folder for the NAS (SMB is enabled) and simply copy these files to the new location.   These files are hidden and my attempts to access them have failed.

You need to access the NAS data volume with the NAS admin credentials.

One way to to do this is with the Windows Command prompt.  Run CMD from the windows search bar and enter

net use * /delete /y
net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real NAS ip address and admin password of course.  The first command will terminate any open network sessions; the second mounts the full NAS data volume as drive letter T on the PC.  Be careful on the typing (both the spaces and the two slash directions).

The folder name on the data volume is slightly different - it is .apps, not apps.  You won't see it in T:\ unless you change the file explorer settings in Windows to let you see hidden folders.  However you can still navigate into it by entering T:\.apps into the file explorer address bar.

Message 4 of 5
herbg
Aspirant

Fantastic!! Your clear instructions are perfect!!  I followed them exactly and can now see the Plex files I'm looking for.  Thank you for your support.  I'll let you know how it goes!

Cheers,
Herb...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements