× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to replace a failed RAID5 X-raid drive in a 6 drive array

Dann0
Aspirant

How to replace a failed RAID5 X-raid drive in a 6 drive array

I have an RN31600 with 6 IronWolf 10TB drives in a RAID5 with X-raid. One of the 5 yr warranty drives has failed after 22 months. The system shows degraded. I have the replacement drive. What are the steps to do this?  Is this a hot swap procedure? Power it off, swap it and power it on? Is there sometign I need to do in the GUI before I touch anything? Documentation-guadance seems horrible. To grow the RAID from 4TB drives to 10TB drives required a power off - then swap each drive, one at time letting the system resync to the new drive. Then once the system had syncing complete, another power off and back on was needed for X-RAID to expand into the new space.

I just want to replace the failed disk drive in my RN31600. What is the procedure?

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: How to replace a failed RAID5 X-raid drive in a 6 drive array

unless there are other issues at hand, the normal procedure is to hot pull the defective drive (make absolute sure you have the correct one), then put the replacement drive into the caddy and hot insert it into the nas.

The nas should detect the new drive, run a quick disk test, then start rebuilding the array.

Do be advised, that the rebuild process is a lot of activity so it will both reduce performance of the nas during the rebuild, and due to the workload put extra stress on all of the drives.

So you should be sure you have a separate backup copy of any critical data, because if during a rebuild another drive should fail, then you will probably lose ALL data on the array.

In the future, you might want to consider the extra safety of raid 6/dual redundancy.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TeknoJnky
Hero

unless there are other issues at hand, the normal procedure is to hot pull the defective drive (make absolute sure you have the correct one), then put the replacement drive into the caddy and hot insert it into the nas.

The nas should detect the new drive, run a quick disk test, then start rebuilding the array.

Do be advised, that the rebuild process is a lot of activity so it will both reduce performance of the nas during the rebuild, and due to the workload put extra stress on all of the drives.

So you should be sure you have a separate backup copy of any critical data, because if during a rebuild another drive should fail, then you will probably lose ALL data on the array.

In the future, you might want to consider the extra safety of raid 6/dual redundancy.

Message 2 of 3
Dann0
Aspirant

@TeknoJnky wrote:

Rest assured - If I lose another one of these drives only 22 months into a 60 month warranty, my beef will be with Seagate and the cost of ownership of these IronWolf drives. Thank you for the answer. "Hot swap the new drive in and keep my fingers crossed for about 24 hours". 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements