× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Logitech Media Server by Super-Poisson not compatible with 6.6.0

Deisterbiker
Aspirant

Re: Logitech Media Server by Super-Poisson not compatible with 6.6.0

I´m also back again, LMS is running on 6.6.

Thx to all

Message 101 of 212
StephenB
Guru

@Kberna1376 wrote:

Every time Netgear does an update it creates a whole set of new problems for their users.  It is very irresponsible to release such buggy software before it is properly tested.  I will simply not update again till they get this fixed.  I have seriously considered getting rid of these servers and going with a more dependable product.

There certainly were too many bugs in some of the previous ReadyNAS releases this year, but I don't think its fair to blame Netgear for the LMS issue.

OS 6.6 included a kernel update (to Debian Jesse), and these apps generally hadn't been updated in a very long time.  Personally I don't consider this to be a bug.  Windows 10 didn't work with some of my old Windows XP programs, and I don't consider those bugs in Win 10 either.

If Netgear never updates the OS version, then over time it becomes vulnerable to security vulnerabilitles - and newer linux programs can't be installed.  So I think there is a need to stay reasonably current.

Something like docker might be a better path for apps - there's an idea there on the idea exchange that you might consider voting for.

Message 102 of 212
AlpCrow
Aspirant

Brillant.  WOrked for me.  Thanks to all of you!

Message 103 of 212
Paul608085
Tutor

Also working for me on ReadyNAS 214,

Thanks.

Message 104 of 212
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I have been following this closely & tonight I installed the LMS nightly 7.9 & 1.09 Deb which both loaded fine onto my ReadyNas 102. All seemed to go well then once I restarted LMS 7.9 on my ReadyNAS 102  it all went pear shaped. My LMS interface is not the usual appearance,  it is very simplistic in appearance & won't allow me to point it to the NAS folders, I don't know what went wrong. I have downloaded LMS7.9 onto my laptop to get me going again.

I assume the LMS 7.9 nightly is from here :

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php?ver=7.9

Also the 1.09 Deb is from the Dropbox hosted by Poussain.

Thanks for any help.

Message 105 of 212
westcros
Tutor

Thank You HWStigter!

i have the RN102 and got that working as well.  

i followed your instructions to the letter and I now have a perfecly working Squeezebox server again,

Thanks also to Super Poussin for providing LMS-1.0.9.

Cheers!

Message 106 of 212
GeddyLifeson
Aspirant

Hi,

Just curious...

Have the recent successful installers jumped directly to the new nightly LMS, which includes the perl-5.20-armel.modules?

So can someone confirm installing the nightly won't mess up the LMS for those who purged the old LMS and installed the package manually.

Thanks for your help

Geddy

Message 107 of 212
ottovonkopp
Apprentice

@GeddyLifeson wrote:

Hi,

Just curious...

Have the recent successful installers jumped directly to the new nightly LMS, which includes the perl-5.20-armel.modules?

So can someone confirm installing the nightly won't mess up the LMS for those who purged the old LMS and installed the package manually.

Thanks for your help

Geddy

I installed the latest nightly over the manually installed LMS and it worked.

Message 108 of 212
ottovonkopp
Apprentice

Message 109 of 212
ChristianST
Aspirant

Same here; LMS is working fine again on a RN 204. 

Thanks everyone who solved the problem!!!! Smiley Happy

Christian

Message 110 of 212
GeddyLifeson
Aspirant

@ottovonkopp wrote:

@GeddyLifeson wrote:

Hi,

Just curious...

Thanks for your help

Geddy

I installed the latest nightly over the manually installed LMS and it worked.

Hi Otto,

Thanks for the confirmation, worked for me also with logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1477086729_arm.deb. Seems safe enough for all to update 🙂

As general info:

Some strange LMS behavior changes on a RM102 between #1 old (before 6.6.0) -> #2 in between (manual inst.last week ) -> #3 new nightly (installed today).

I'm using 2 * Touch for main playback, #A with Triode for 192/24 and downwards, #B with standard max. 96/24 and also analog output used.

While not actually needed in daily use, transcoding 192&176 to 96 in #B did never work in #1, suddenly started working in #2 but stopped working in #3. No setup changes done between #2 and #3. Any clues how to fix, if someone is facing the same problem?

Br

Geddy

Message 111 of 212
nathanW
Aspirant

Thank you all for your help so far. I have managed to install XXX using upload in GUI and if I connect to port 9000 I can see the web interface, however I can't see the app under installed apps so I cannot use the gui to start | stop the service. I have tried the "apt-get purge logitechmediaserver" followed by deleting the "/var/lib# rm -rf squeezeboxserver/"

Anybody got any suggestions please?

Message 112 of 212
nathanW
Aspirant

Sorry xxx should read "logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1477086729_arm.deb" and for info im using an RN204

Message 113 of 212
HWStigter
Apprentice

Message 114 of 212
nathanW
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick responce.

I uninstalled logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1477086729_arm.deb and cleaned up the directories again then uploaded the file "lms_1.0.9_all.deb", however that does not seem to work at all now and when I check the  /var/log/squeezeboxserver/server.log it says "Logitech Media Server died. Restarting." repeatedly.

Should I install logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1477086729_arm.deb & lms_1.0.9_all.deb ?

Sorry if I missed this in the rest of the thread.

Thanks in advance

N

Message 115 of 212
HWStigter
Apprentice

You need both. First the nightly and *then* lms_1.09_all.deb.
That's all!

Rik
Message 116 of 212
Kberna1376
Apprentice

Netgear broke the app.  They need to fix it.  Everyone is jumping throgh hoops and deealing with frustration trying to solve a problem they created!

Come on Netgear, do the right thing.  Stop making your mistakes our problem.  Worst customer service EVER!

Message 117 of 212
HWStigter
Apprentice

@Kbema1376

If you read earlier commentaries you'll notice that this is too easy. Netgear has to update certain parts of the OS to keep it safe. A new version of Perl has been in the works for some time and now was the time to implement it. So the correct way to solve these issues was to ask the developers of LMS to add new libraries that work with this newer version of Perl.

Netgear cannot be responsible for these libraries, they can only help solving these compatibility issues by asking the developers to adjust these libraries or executables.

That is what the activities on this forum achieved.

One might think that Netgear should have tested all these add-ons before releasing the new firmware. That would be ideal, but I don't believe that Netgear has the capacity to do that without help from the community. It's no Microsoft (or Google) as far as it's capacity for testing goes.

So let's be reasonable: the problem was solved in about two weeks time by the communities involved. I've known issues with bigger companies/communities that took much longer to solve (remember SSL?)

Message 118 of 212
nathanW
Aspirant

@HWStigter  Thanks for confirming that, all working now 🙂

Message 119 of 212
JanvdBrink
Tutor

Hi thank you,

Followed your steps and it works for me too 😉

Just deleted the existing App entry and configured the LMS again to complete the process.

Gr. Jan

Message 120 of 212
Supertramp11
Luminary

Can I pls ask the OP to summarize the necessary steps and mark the issue as resolved. This will help future people who upgrade to OS 6.6.x, including myself.

Many thanks to all!

Message 121 of 212
ABNL
Guide

I am waiting for 6.6.1. that's compatible with LMS, or the other way around, a newer LMS that's compatible with 6.6.0 and follow standard installation for dummies.

Message 122 of 212
Kberna1376
Apprentice

I agree.  Need to wait for an update that fixes this.  I am not going to hack my server to fix a Netgear mistake.

Message 123 of 212
colinm
Aspirant

Hi all

I must be doing something wrong or my RN104 has just got in a mess (also tried my RN102 which didn't have LMS installed so I knew it would be a fresh install).

I've tried uploading the nightly LMS (logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1477086729_arm.deb) and then the LMS lms_7.9.0_all.deb just using the Apps -> Upload in the web page, but I don't get anything appear in either Apps or Available Apps.

I was running LMS ok until 6.6.0.

Can anyone offer any advice please? How do you clean up everything to start again? I do have ssh access, just not sure where to start deleting everything.

Thanks

Message 124 of 212
HWStigter
Apprentice

@colinm

You are, actually. Man Happy

You installed LMS twice (logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1477086729_arm.deb and lms_7.9.0_all.deb, these are both the LMS-server), where you should install it once (logitechmediaserver_7.9.0~1477086729_arm.deb) and then install the supper_poussin app (lms_1.09_all.deb) which makes LMS accessible from the APPS-tab.

So first the nightly LMS and then lms_1.09_all.deb, which is super_poussin's plug-in.

Rik

Message 125 of 212
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements