× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to update plex server

Toast97
Aspirant

Unable to update plex server

Toast97_0-1689382488122.png

I have an Ultra 2 Plus running with ReadyNAS OS 6. I recently turned it on after not doing so for several months. Everything came up normally, including the 2 apps I have installed. I then updated the firmware from 6.10.7 to 6.10.8 without issue. I attempted to update the Plex server from 1.28.1.6104 to 1.32.4.7195 but it's failing to install. No other info is shown. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Unable to update plex server

The 6.10.8 repository is broken, so the first step would be to manually update to 6.10.9.

But that is not enough, you'd also need to adjust some configs as outlined here:

There could still be some library mismatches with the current version of plex.

FWIW, I run it on an always-on PC with the media shares mapped to drive letters. That eliminates a lot of install headaches.

Message 2 of 6
Toast97
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

The 6.10.8 repository is broken, so the first step would be to manually update to 6.10.9.

But that is not enough, you'd also need to adjust some configs as outlined here:

There could still be some library mismatches with the current version of plex.

FWIW, I run it on an always-on PC with the media shares mapped to drive letters. That eliminates a lot of install headaches.

Thanks for that info. How is the 6.10.8 repo broken, and why would Netgear push an update to a "broken" repo but not a newer one (6.10.9) that would fix at least some the issue(s)? When I check for newer updates my Admin UI says that's I'm running the latest, regardless of which feed I select (LTS, Stable, or Beta).

I believe my NAS is running on an Intel Atom processor so I would presumably get the https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-300/ReadyNASOS-6.10.9-x86_64.zip update.

I read through that 2nd thread. Any idea of how much available disk space is required to do a manual firmware/debian update like that described in the posts there?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Toast97 wrote:
How is the 6.10.8 repo broken

Almost all the files/folders are either missing or have wrong permissions set so they cannot be accessed.  So it is incomplete.  A normal 6.10.x repo has about 1000 files.  The 6.10.8 only has 34 accessible files.

@Toast97 wrote:
why would Netgear push an update to a "broken" repo but not a newer one (6.10.9) that would fix at least some the issue(s)?

No idea why Netgear hasn't fixed their 6.10.8 repo, or when/if they will push the 6.10.0 release from their update servers.

@Toast97 wrote:
I read through that 2nd thread. Any idea of how much available disk space is required to do a manual firmware/debian update like that described in the posts there?

I'm guessing you mean apt-mirror???  Assuming yes, the full repository (armel, armhf, and amd64) takes about 300GB.  That includes all the libraries in the thread (plus Netgear repositories for 6.10.0 through 6.10.9).

@Toast97 wrote:
I believe my NAS is running on an Intel Atom processor so I would presumably get the https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-300/ReadyNASOS-6.10.9-x86_64.zip update.

Correct.

Message 4 of 6
Toast97
Aspirant

It seems like more of a hassle to upgrade to 6.10.9 right now than it is to rollback to my previous firmware version of 6.10.7. Is a downgrade as simple as Manual Firmware Install of the previous firmware (https://kb.netgear.com/000064653/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-10-7)from the Settings page of the Admin UI?

Has Netgear responded to any inquiries about their future ReadyNAS plans?

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Toast97 wrote:

Is a downgrade as simple as Manual Firmware Install of the previous firmware

Yes, it is the identical process (so the same amount of work).

@Toast97 wrote:

Has Netgear responded to any inquiries about their future ReadyNAS plans?

No.

Indications are that they have been quiet-quitting the ReadyNAS market for some time. In no particular order:

• The most recent platform was introduced back in 2017.
  • No sales inventory at most storefronts for some years now.
  • No new features added for several years (just bug fixes and security updates).
  • Increasing difficulty when trying to access support
  • ReadyNAS dropped from the main Netgear webpage
  • Discontinuing ReadyCloud.

But they haven't said anything (and have ignored questions on the subject here).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements