× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Getting Started with Egnyte

remorgan
Aspirant

Getting Started with Egnyte

Hi Johnny,

I've read several of your posts and you seem quite helpful, so I'm hoping that by posting this question you might offer insight that I'm sure I'm not alone in asking for. Well, here goes... Our company uses the ReadyNAS (Pro-Pioneer 6TB ver.) to manage remote teams across the U.S. So, I've got lot's of folders with the various support teams' data on them that I want to make accessible via Egnyte - seems pretty strightforward and what Egnyte is supposedly advertised to be all about. Anyway, I've just got the ReadyNAS setup, and loaded the local cloud and mapped the drive to my PC - all good there. The bigger question is this; how does one move the larger folders of company data to the Egnyte side so I can use it to work faster (than ReadyNAS Remote) with my remote teams? I looked, but could not find a simple tutorial or "How-To" on the best way to migrate / duplicate NAS data on the Egnyte server. Do you know where this is or if it does not exist (seems like it should), can you provide some tips, please?

Thanks for any insight,
R.E. Morgan
Message 1 of 2
JohnnyEgnyte
Aspirant

Re: Getting Started with Egnyte

Hi R.E. Morgan,

If I understand the situation correctly, you have data on an existing Share on the ReadyNAS box that you would like to move into Egnyte Local Cloud. There are several options to accomplish that. One is to "rsync" the data. This can depend on the size of your data set. One example is to use rsync as shown below:

Example: Copying from an existing NAS share /c/Company to the Shared folder of the /c/ELC share.

rsync -av /c/Company/ /c/ELC/Shared

To learn more, please refer to the following helpdesk article: https://helpdesk.egnyte.com/entries/324956-how-do-i-migrate-my-data-to-the-office-local-cloud-nas

Please be aware that the folder permissions will not be carried over to Egnyte. You will need to reassign the access permissions via Egnyte.

I would like to suggest a short phone call to talk through possible ways to do it most efficiently. Please send me a PM when you get the chance.

~ Johnny
Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements