× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Transmission 2.84 add-on for ReadyNAS Duo/NV+ (sparc)

addam
Aspirant

Re: New Transmission 2.82 add-on for ReadyNAS Duo/NV+ (sparc

flamesong wrote:
addam wrote:
I'm having some issues with a specific tracker and the readynas. I have no problems when trying to download with transmission for mac.
I get no seeders but no errors either. I alson notice that some downloads are slower to start now compared to before.
How can I find out what's wrong?
BR/addam

I have experienced exactly the same problem going back over the last two years. Whenever it happens, I either find the same torrent on a different site or use a Mac BitTorrent client.

I think I may have once reconnected to my ISP thus acquiring a new IP address and I think that also canceled the problem on that occasion but it didn't work consistently so I didn't continue with it. Anyway, I got the sense that my IP address may have been blacklisted by the tracker.

Okay, I'm happy(?) to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue.
But I have not had this problem before I upgraded to 2.82. Not sure if I can downgrade and se if it has any effect.
I really like the transmission add-on. Together with the remote-gui it is absolutely awesome.
If anyone has any ideas I can try I'm happy to listen...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Message 76 of 160
flamesong1
Aspirant

tarobun wrote:
I think they changed something in Transmission 2.8x...

What is the umask value in your settings.json file? Can you try it with "umask":0 ?

I tried that and so far (two Torrents) it seems to be OK. Thanks.
Message 77 of 160
addam
Aspirant

addam wrote:
flamesong wrote:
addam wrote:
I'm having some issues with a specific tracker and the readynas. I have no problems when trying to download with transmission for mac.
I get no seeders but no errors either. I alson notice that some downloads are slower to start now compared to before.
How can I find out what's wrong?
BR/addam

I have experienced exactly the same problem going back over the last two years. Whenever it happens, I either find the same torrent on a different site or use a Mac BitTorrent client.

I think I may have once reconnected to my ISP thus acquiring a new IP address and I think that also canceled the problem on that occasion but it didn't work consistently so I didn't continue with it. Anyway, I got the sense that my IP address may have been blacklisted by the tracker.

Okay, I'm happy(?) to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue.
But I have not had this problem before I upgraded to 2.82. Not sure if I can downgrade and se if it has any effect.
I really like the transmission add-on. Together with the remote-gui it is absolutely awesome.
If anyone has any ideas I can try I'm happy to listen...

Okay,
I decided to downgrade to 2.42 since I know it has been working okay before. And now I have no problems.
I liked the 2.82 better since it was smoother to work with. Probably because it does not consume all my memory but 2.42 obviously has something right when it comes to downloading.
/Addam
Message 78 of 160
Ask1
Aspirant

Can someone tell me where to download 2.82? Transmission page points me back to 2.42 for sparc, ReadyNAS DUO
Message 79 of 160
flamesong1
Aspirant

Ask1 wrote:
Can someone tell me where to download 2.82? Transmission page points me back to 2.42 for sparc, ReadyNAS DUO

The first post in this thread.
Message 80 of 160
emk1
Aspirant

Hello all, I have stumbled on this thread today. I, like others here, have also been running v2.42 from Super-Fish. I opted to remove v2.42 cleanly prior to installing v2.82. Install was without incident, however it doesn't seem to be taking my settings.json config that I basically copied over from my v2.42 config.

Now I can't get transmission to start. Turned on logging switch as mentioned in a prior post. The daemon does start with the logging switch and I noticed that it picks up the settings.json from a different directory?
14:33:51.464] Saved "/root/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json" (variant.c:1217)

instead of /c/addons-config/Transmission/settings.json

Any ideas?

UPDATE: Looks like the transmission-daemon with --logging switch uses a settings.json file in /root/.config/transmission-daemon. After a reboot of my nas, looks like v2.82 is working well.
Message 81 of 160
chucko58
Aspirant

Thank you tarobun for this build! I deleted 2.42, installed 2.82, and it's working just fine - after I figured out that the web interface port changed.
Message 82 of 160
geojay
Guide

I've just installed Transmission 2.82 and I've tried to access it remotely (I've set up port forwarding on my router) but get a 403 response (Unauthorized IP Address). It works fine locally. Looking at addons-config\Transmission\settings.json I can see the line:
"rpc-whitelist": "127.0.0.1,10.0.0.*,192.168.*.*",

My router is on 192.168.1.70 so it looks like it should work. Can anyone suggest what the issue is and what I need to do to resolve it?

Thanks
Message 83 of 160
NAS_t
Aspirant

Transmission user interface is MIA

I've installed v 2.82 on my Duo (sparc) with 4.1.13.
It seems to have installed properly, and the little green light is on.
The ReadyNAS Status pages says "The Transmission add-on has been successfully installed."

When I click the button titled "Transmission Interface", a blank Firefox window opens. Its URL is "about:blank".

I tried rebooting the Duo. No change.

How does one access the GUI, and why does the Transmission Interface button point to a blank webpage?
Message 84 of 160
InTheShires
Tutor

Re: Transmission user interface is MIA

NAS-t wrote:
It seems to have installed properly, and the little green light is on.
The ReadyNAS Status pages says "The Transmission add-on has been successfully installed."

When I click the button titled "Transmission Interface", a blank Firefox window opens. Its URL is "about:blank".

I tried rebooting the Duo. No change.

How does one access the GUI, and why does the Transmission Interface button point to a blank webpage?

Have you got a PHP package installed? You will need one.

There is a free app from Super_Poussin for Sparc and x86, or some modern releases from WhoCares? which is not free. (Though I have a vague memory of WhoCares? releasing a slightly older PHP version for free, maybe?)
Message 85 of 160
Mr_B
Guide

Re: Transmission user interface is MIA

InTheShires wrote:
Have you got a PHP package installed? You will need one.
Uh... I do? Weird. I don't have any PHP addon installed, and the interface button works just fine.

NAS-t wrote:
I've had 2.82 installed on my NV+ for quite some time. I'm still on 4.1.12, but unless something broke the interface, it should work "out of the box"

NAS-t wrote:
The only thing i can think of is that your port number is wrong.
Look in: \\"YourNASHere"\addons-config\Transmission\settings.json
Your looking for "rpc-port": 8181,
8181 is MY port. You have to find out which is yours. And , if you have a favorite number, you can change it to use that. For reasons not to be explained right now, stay above 1023, and below 65535 and you'll be fine.
Once you have a number, the current, or the one you changed to, check so the number matches in the text-box on the Frontpage-page. At this point you can try it again.
Remember to stop the service before you try and save the edited file. Might even have to stop the service to get read access, for some reason. (I don't have to, but i remember having to, earlier. Not sure if it's user rights, firmware, or Transmission that changed to make it "not be needed".)

NAS-t wrote:
The GUI is accessed through the button on that wep-page, but honestly. Get Transmission Remote or Transmisson Remote GUI. It takes a little to figure out how to configure them, but once thats done, it's a lot more user-friendly... No, not kidding, get one of them. The second seams to be more advanced, but does something weird every now and then. For what ever reason it makes the x86 Transmission i got running on a HP WHS freeze up if i leave the app running. Get that one, and see how it works for you. (Still, we should figure out what ti takes to get the web GUI running for you, it should wok, as a backup, if nothing else.)
B!
Message 86 of 160
NAS_t
Aspirant

@Shires,

Thanks for the reply.

No, I don't have a PHP package installed, unless that's something that is part of the ReadyNAS RAIDiator software. (I don't know what a PHP is, nor what I would do with it if I had it!).

However, thanks to advice from someone with a lot of experience using Transmission on OS X, I've discovered that the Transmission Interface for v2.82 can be accessed at http://nas:9091/transmission/web/
( "nas" is the local network name of my Duo).
Apparently, port 9091 is the standard port used by Transmission on a Mac, so I tried it on the Duo, and was in like flint.

I've been able to initiate a torrent, which is downloading to the Duo as I type this. So far so good.
Message 87 of 160
Mr_B
Guide

NAS-t wrote:
I've discovered that the Transmission Interface for v2.82 can be accessed at http://nas:9091/transmission/web/
Put 9091 in the textbox on the web-gui launch page, and see what that does for you. If it works... Push "save" before closing the page.
B!
Message 88 of 160
NAS_t
Aspirant

@ Mr_B,
Confirmed - PHP not required. Transmission seems to be running fine right now on my Duo, and I've not installed a PHP package.

Thanks for the pointer to Transmission Remote GUI. I may check it out, but things seem to be working right now, and I'm not sure I want to add yet another layer of new software. Transmission Remote won't help me since it's a Windows program and I have a Mac.

I tried looking for \\"YourNASHere"\addons-config\Transmission\settings.json
Actually, I looked for //nas/addons-config/Transmission, since OS X uses forward-slashes instead of back-slashes. But no such folder is found.

You suggested that I put 9091 in the textbox on the web-gui page, and then push Save. Are you referring to the web page on FrontView which lists the Transmission add-on? On my Duo, there's no place to enter a port number.

Regardless, since I now know how to access the web page (at http://nas:9091), I don't need to go fiddling around with the port number.

Cheers!
Message 89 of 160
Mr_B
Guide

NAS-t wrote:
Thanks for the pointer to Transmission Remote GUI. I may check it out, but things seem to be working right now, and I'm not sure I want to add yet another layer of new software.
Do IT *tries to sound like Peanut, from/in "Spark of Insanity"* No really. Your just adding a magnet url handler. It pops up like any torrent client, has virtually no CPU usage, since it's not actually DOIN anything, the NAS does it all. And, when you don't use it, you just kill it off, and the NAS doesn't care.

NAS-t wrote:
I tried looking for \\"YourNASHere"\addons-config\Transmission\settings.json
Actually, I looked for //nas/addons-config/Transmission, since OS X uses forward-slashes instead of back-slashes. But no such folder is found.
Weird. I'm guessing the share isn't added, or it's shared "as something else". Since my NAS speaks Swedish i can only guess, but i think you need to look under "shares" and see if there is anything there that seams to point at configuration stuffs for the addons.

NAS-t wrote:
You suggested that I put 9091 in the textbox on the web-gui page, and then push Save. Are you referring to the web page on FrontView which lists the Transmission add-on? On my Duo, there's no place to enter a port number.
Wait... What? Right above the "Show Web Interface" button for the Transmission GUI, i have "Transmission RPC Port (from settings.json):" and a text box to enter info in. Thats where you should put 9091. You don't have that text box?
B!
Message 90 of 160
NAS_t
Aspirant

Nope - no text box for the Transmission RPC Port.
On my Duo, the Installed Add-ons page contains a section titled "Transmission. P2P Client". In the upper-right corner is a little green dot (indicating that the add-on is active, I presume).
Below that, it says: Please disable the add-on before modifying the /addons-config/Transmission/transmission-daemon/settings.json file
Below that is a button titled "Transmission Interface", and another button "Create Torrent".
Finally, an invitation to send a donation via PayPal.
Lower-right corner has v2.82.

Perhaps you're referring to another web page?
Message 91 of 160
Mr_B
Guide

No, it sounds like we are on the same page, but something still isn't the same. Just means i have no idea where the text-box went.

B!
Message 92 of 160
NAS_t
Aspirant

I figured it out (sort of).
It's a browser bug! I'm using Firefox v26.0 (the latest release for OSX). I don't know how to embed an image in this posting, or I'd include a screen shot of what I see. It's similar, but different than your screen shot. For example, the button to donate is a simple text button, labeled "Donate via Paypal". I don't get a spiffy orange Paypal button. I have a button labeled "Create Torrent" that's missing from yours.

Unless I connect to my Duo using Chrome. Then I see what you see. Must be something in the water.
Message 93 of 160
Mr_B
Guide

Cool. Try setting the port right in chrome, and saving it, then it "should" work from Firefox.
B!
Message 94 of 160
Mr_B
Guide

Just sticking it in here for reference. Updated the NV+ firmware to 4.1.13, with transmission 2.82 installed. No issues. (So far. Been running for an hour)
B!
Message 95 of 160
dudeishere
Aspirant

i'm in trouble! i have a few problems after upgrading to 2.82 and readynas 4.1.13.

1) I can't seem to get readynas to go through my router. I've open the port on the router (dir-655) I can confirm it is open when i point it to my laptop. I can confirm that the port is open on the readynas (netstat -a | grep 61688) but it always shows as closed on transmission. I don't see any mention on the log (using --logfile) this is what it looks like at startup:

Question: any advice on how I can debug this? I've spent hours on it :'(

bau:/etc/frontview/addons/bin/TRANSMISSION# cat /var/tmp/transmission.log
[19:13:57.025] Transmission 2.82 (14160) started (session.c:738)
[19:13:57.026] RPC Server Adding address to whitelist: * (rpc-server.c:828)
[19:13:57.026] RPC Server Serving RPC and Web requests on port 127.0.0.1:8181/transmission/ (rpc-server.c:1035)
[19:13:57.026] RPC Server Whitelist enabled (rpc-server.c:1039)
[19:13:57.026] RPC Server Password required (rpc-server.c:1042)
[19:13:57.026] Port Forwarding Stopped (port-forwarding.c:183)
[19:13:57.027] DHT Generating new id (tr-dht.c:310)
[19:13:57.027] Using settings from "/c/addons-config/Transmission" (daemon.c:526)
[19:13:57.027] Saved "/c/addons-config/Transmission/settings.json" (variant.c:1217)
[19:13:57.027] transmission-daemon requiring authentication (daemon.c:546)
bau:/etc/frontview/addons/bin/TRANSMISSION# cat /var/tmp/transmission.log
[19:13:57.025] Transmission 2.82 (14160) started (session.c:738)
[19:13:57.026] RPC Server Adding address to whitelist: * (rpc-server.c:828)
[19:13:57.026] RPC Server Serving RPC and Web requests on port 127.0.0.1:8181/transmission/ (rpc-server.c:1035)
[19:13:57.026] RPC Server Whitelist enabled (rpc-server.c:1039)
[19:13:57.026] RPC Server Password required (rpc-server.c:1042)
[19:13:57.026] Port Forwarding Stopped (port-forwarding.c:183)
[19:13:57.027] DHT Generating new id (tr-dht.c:310)
[19:13:57.027] Using settings from "/c/addons-config/Transmission" (daemon.c:526)
[19:13:57.027] Saved "/c/addons-config/Transmission/settings.json" (variant.c:1217)
[19:13:57.027] transmission-daemon requiring authentication (daemon.c:546)

2) are blocklists disabled on 2.82? This is the url I have but it always says there are zero rules, used to work on 2.42

"blocklist-enabled": true,
"blocklist-url": "http://list.iblocklist.com/?list=bt_level1",
"cache-size-mb": 200,

I have an NV+ with 1GB of ram, upgraded by removing 2.42, installing 2.82 (thanks for building it!!!) and then moving my settings.json to 2.82. Everything seems to work fine except (1) I can't get through the firewall (2) blocklists don't seem to work (obviously not as important as (1))
Message 96 of 160
Hairy1
Aspirant

Firstly, my thanks to Tarobun, super-poussin and anyone else involved in keeping the ReadyNAS Transmission effort going! Up until recently I was using the last stable version I found (being 2.11) which worked fine for me.

I recently upgrade my Duo 1 to 4.1.12 and reinstalled everything, and found that Transmission 2.82 is available! Fantastic Ive given it a go and it seems to work perfectly.
Hoever there might be something Im doing wrong, when I modify the whitelist config in any way, Transmission refuses to start. Even setting whitelist to false and the service just refuses to start. Change it back, and it starts fine. In fact it appears that any change I make to settings.json causes transmission to fail on startup. Even restarting the NAS didn't help.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? Im editing the config via my mac using TextEdit. Im reverting the changes I make by editing again in TextEdit. Also all changes are made when transmission is offline, of course.

Thanks
John
Message 97 of 160
Mr_B
Guide

dudeishere wrote:
1) I can't seem to get readynas to go through my router. I've open the port on the router (dir-655) I can confirm it is open when i point it to my laptop. I can confirm that the port is open on the readynas (netstat -a | grep 61688) but it always shows as closed on transmission. I don't see any mention on the log (using --logfile) this is what it looks like at startup:
Look in settings.json for ""port-forwarding-enabled":" and make sure it says "true" as argument. Then log on to your D-link router and make sure uPnP is enabled, it's under advanced network settings. If your running a old enough Firmware, your not going to have that setting, and will need to update first, then it will be supported. After that, you should be able to ignore it, more or less. It should always just work.

Now that i sort of fixed your issue, or, well, hopefully at least, here comes the kicker.
If, for what ever reason, the router / firewall whatever thats in between the ReadyNAS with Transmission, and the rest of the world is restarted, Transmission doesn't seam to notice that the uPnP port forwarding no longer works, and you go deaf. From what i see, it looks like new torrents will set up new forwarding, but the old stuff remains broken. Restarting the NAS will fix the issue. I assume this is something it inherits from the Transmission code it self, and that it has nothing to do with the ReadyNAS adaptation. But i thought i should put it out there. Might simply be my Firewall that is overly anal as well. (Smoothwall SWE3.0)
B!
Message 98 of 160
jeffwhit74
Aspirant

Sorry for the noob question but I am having some issues. I got Transmission 2.82 installed and it looks like it is running but when I use Transmission Remote GUI to start a download, I get an error about tracker connection failed. I don't know if there are some settings I need to make on router or what because torch works fine on laptop. Currently running dd-wrt ver 24 sp 2. Let me know how to post screenshots or any other information you might need
Message 99 of 160
BrianFWombat
Aspirant

My old ReadyNAS DUO SPARC has decided to update itself to 4.1.3 and Transmission stopped working. I restarted, removed Transmission, reinstalled 2.82, started the service.
The daemons seem to be running fine, the service appears in the addons menu and I can start and stop it.
However the link to the UI just goes to a "blank" page. Looks like the WebUI isn't available via Apache.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Message 100 of 160
Discussion stats
Announcements