× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadNas 314 Timemachine weirdness ReadyNAS 314

shireeshj
Aspirant

ReadNas 314 Timemachine backups stopped ReadyNAS 314

I have been using ReadyNAS for taking private timemachine backups and it was running smooth for several months.

The backups stopped happening in the last week of May. I have been trying to figure out the reason and have been unsuccessful so far.

Mounting the AFP volume seem to be the problem. My MacBook pro just does not know how to mount the volumes that were working just fine till some time ago.

I am facing another issue. When I create a new private timemachine for a fresh user (using Frontview admin menu), I get an error stating "Could not save user info"

I am not sure if this was cuased by the upgrading of ReadyNas firmware (to 6.7.4) or due to some OS patch released by Apple (I am on Sierra 10.12.5)

Any help is highly appreciated

Message 1 of 13
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello shireeshj,

Are you saying you cannot get to the NAS volume via AFP? Maybe you want to try connecting the NAS straight to the computer and then run RAIDar to see its current IP address so you'll know what IP subnet to manually assign to the computer.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 13
btaroli
Prodigy

Re: ReadNas 314 Timemachine backups stopped ReadyNAS 314

Well, I think I can safely rule out compatibility issues as the source of the trouble. I've been using 6.7.x with macOS 10.12.x (now 6.7.5 and 10.12.5) without issue. It sounds like you're using per-user Time Machine volumes, where in my case I've stuck with a global one. So I can't help you on that part, but that's probably where I'd focus my attention in diagnosing this further... the actual TM setup on the NAS.

What does the Mac actually say (if you have the TM preferences panel up when you attempt a backup)? Could it just be the password? I had this happen to me once (pre 6.7) when I had to reset my TM password on the NAS side and then reconnect. But perhaps it's something more. Hard to say with the info in hand.

Message 3 of 13
shireeshj
Aspirant

It is certainly not the IP address issue. I can use the NAS with "SMB shared folders" without any issues. But Timemachine uses AFP, and that is where I have the problem. 

Message 4 of 13
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello shireeshj,

How about trying the firmware version 6.7.5?

Regards,

Message 5 of 13
btaroli
Prodigy

@shireeshj wrote:

It is certainly not the IP address issue. I can use the NAS with "SMB shared folders" without any issues. But Timemachine uses AFP, and that is where I have the problem. 

Have you tried to create a regular share using AFP and connect to that, apart from TimeMachine?

Message 6 of 13
shireeshj
Aspirant

The other problem is also the error I get whenever a user account details are modified. Creating a new account is no issues, but changing anything on an existing account throws "Could not save user info" error. 

The page does not allow me to copy-paste the error details and I dont see any provision here to attach a screenshot image 😞

Message 7 of 13
shireeshj
Aspirant

Tried upgrading to 6.7.5

It does not fix the problem.

Message 8 of 13
shireeshj
Aspirant

Tried creating an AFP share... but it does not allow me to create one. the error message is "Failed to create share. Please verify that the share name is valid and unique" Code 101305001

I am using plain text (alphabets only, without any spaces) for the share name, which works for an SMB share. Also verified that the name is unique. So I dont think the error message is accurate

Message 9 of 13
btaroli
Prodigy

It also can't match any hidden shares created by the NAS for its own purposes. You didn't mention what name(s) you tried, but avoid "timemachine". 😉 But if you're unable to do this then it lijkeoy something's messed up in the config files related to AFP.

Message 10 of 13
shireeshj
Aspirant

I tried share names such as "TestShare", "TestShareSJ", "AFPtesting". All of them throw the same error.

So far, I have tried (1) rebooting the NAS (2) Upgrading the firmware version. Neither of them fix the issue. I am not sure if its problem just with AFP config, since I was not allowed to edit a users account (Modify a users group). I am logged in as admin. This has nothing to do with AFP I believe.

Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Did you purchase your RN314 (new) between 1 June 2014 and 31 May 2016?  If so, you have lifetime chat support.  Using support would be a good next step.

Message 12 of 13
shireeshj
Aspirant

It was purchased in June 2016. I guess chat support was only available for 3 months from the date of purchase. 

But will try... thanks

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements