× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1200 - I JUST MOVED IT AND NOW CAN'T RECONNECT. ;-(

jtn2
Aspirant

AC1200 - I JUST MOVED IT AND NOW CAN'T RECONNECT. ;-(

yes, i've tried the instructions, but am totally lost, and my tech support expired a month ago, though i didn't need it then.

Message 1 of 7

Re: AC1200 - I JUST MOVED IT AND NOW CAN'T RECONNECT. ;-(

@jtn2 wrote:

yes, i've tried the instructions, but am totally lost

Nothing useful to go on there.

Start with telling us what it is.

AC1200 is not a unique Netgear model number. Many devices come with the AC/AX tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and others, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the Model Number. And, if there is one, include the "V" bit to show the hardware version. If there is no V number, then you have V1.

You moved it from what to what?

Is it a router?

It may help to reboot the whole network in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 7
jtn2
Aspirant

THANK YOU for your very informative reply, and i'm sorry mine OP was so lamely vague. Here's some more info:

First, i have the AC1200 Wifi Range Extender model EX6150v2...but the "associated products spot above wouldn't allow me to enter that. It only showed the EX6120. (SN #4LV91954A4A26)

I bought it four months ago, did a "quick install" - and now i'm not even sure how i accomplished that - i THINK through the NightHawk app - and my wifi service SEEMED to be better for a time. Though lately it's been back to terrible again, so i thought i would reset the whole thing. I unplugged it and moved it back to my office (near my Arris D13D modem/router). Started through the instructions: plug it in to an outlet near the router, wait for the green light...and then i didn't know my passwords for the network, the router, etc....and that's kinda where everything went bonkers. I tried resetting the router, and just then could never get anything to connect. I googled a bit, found out that my customer service with NetGear ceased a month ago (i had realized there was a 3-month limit), found the support community and here i am.  😉 

Again, thank you for your reply. 

I will go through all the reset steps you suggested and see if this gives me a light at the end of the tunnel. 

Message 3 of 7

@jtn2 wrote:

Started through the instructions: plug it in to an outlet near the router, wait for the green light...and then i didn't know my passwords for the network, the router, etc....and that's kinda where everything went bonkers.

The passwords etc are  probably down to your Arris D13D modem/router.

The EX6150v2 just hitches a ride on that.

I bought it four months ago, did a "quick install" - and now i'm not even sure how i accomplished that - i THINK through the NightHawk app - and my wifi service SEEMED to be better for a time.

Apps are the devil's plaything. Try to find a way to set it up that avoids apps. Look for help in the manual.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Message 4 of 7
jtn2
Aspirant

i did the resets/restarts as you outlined, plug in the extender, waited for the greenlight, went to Nighthawk and it wants me to sign in. i'd reset this password last night, tried it today, and it still won't let me in. so, without Nighthawk working, i went to the online instructions for set up:

- found a youtube video on it which says to click the WPS button on the extender, and then on the router/modem. there isn't one on the router/modem AND the WPS light on the extender was already green. odd?

- the Netgear Extender network does not show up on my networks list on my desktop, laptop, nor phone, so i'm guessing the green WPS light on the Extender doesn't mean anything at this point?

so i tried a second video:

- i first did the factory reset on the extender (paper clip into the reset hole), waited for the green light, and the Netgear networks showed up on my 3 devices! Yee haw!

- connecting to that network on my phone, it did connect (saying "unsecured network") and soon after that it said "no internet connection". my laptop seemed to connect with no issues, but it never opened up the "new extended setup" window. so i switched over to Nighthawk.

- lo and behold, Nighthawk found the extender and said it had not yet been set up, and i then followed all the directions.

Eureka. I'm in. Thanks for your suggestion to restart everything. I'm sure it helped a lot. 

Message 5 of 7
jtn2
Aspirant

what are your suggestions about moving the extender once it's been set up? I put it halfway between the router and our living area where the wifi gets pretty bad, and i'm thinking of moving to the far side of the living room, mainly so it's also in a less-conspicuous place. will i need to reset anything? 

Message 6 of 7

@jtn2 wrote:

what are your suggestions about moving the extender once it's been set up? I put it halfway between the router and our living area where the wifi gets pretty bad, and i'm thinking of moving to the far side of the living room, mainly so it's also in a less-conspicuous place. will i need to reset anything? 

Once you have set up the EX6150v2, you should be able to move it from place to place and it will remember the settings.

While it might be good to make it less-conspicuous, you should think about the distance between the router and the places where you want the wifi. If you look at Netgear's advice you should see that the best place is half way between the router and the wifi clients, the things you want to connect to the wifi. What you don't want is to put the repeater in the same place as the wifi clients.

But try putting the repeater wherever you like. Then see what happens.

One thing to consider is if you want to use the repeater to provide a wired (LAN) connection to things. That will limit your choices.

Don't forget that you are playing with an extender first made in 2015, with the wifi standards of that time. If you can't get it to deliver the network connection that you want, you may have to think about updating your hardware with something that matches the latest wifi standards. It all depends on what you are doing.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7