× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't connect 3DS to Router

Momof3boys88
Aspirant

Can't connect 3DS to Router

Hi can anyone help me connect a Nintendo 3DS to my Netgear N600 router? It is model number WNDR3400. When I attempt to setup a connection the 3DS finds an access point but then can't connect due to error code 003-2102. All other devices in my house like phoned, computers, tablets, xboxone, and even the DirectTV boxes connect but not the 3DS. What am I doing wrong? I even tried to set it up manually and still couldn't do it. 

Thanks 

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Trikein
Luminary

Re: Can't connect 3DS to Router

I think you might be using simplified termology that is incorrect. NAT doesn't need to be off, NAT filtering just needs to be set to open. NAT is the routers ability to turn a public IP into private IP and visa versa. If you actually turned this off, your internet would stop working. NAT filtering refers to SPI used in the routers firewall. However turning off NAT filtering turns off the firewall for your entire network, not just the 3DS, which is a security concern.

Instead, I would suggest putting the 3DS into the router's DMZ. First you would need to set a DHCP reservation for the MAC address of your 3DS. See page 76-77 of manual to see how. This will make it so the same IP is assigned to the 3DS every time it connects. Then put that IP into the DMZ. See page 80 for more info on the DMZ. This will allow the 3DS to bypass the firewall, and you should be able to put NAT filtering back to on/secure. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
Trikein
Luminary

Is your ISP PLDT (Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company)? 

Also, how do you have your router configured for wireless? The 3DS is Wifi G only, so if your router is set to N only or G+N there might be some problem. Also, some routers aren't compatible with the 3DS and AES. What do you have your wireless security settings to?

Message 2 of 5
Momof3boys88
Aspirant

Thanks for replying. No I have TWC (Time Warner Cable). I managed to get the 3DS to finally connect after trying again manually. I turned off NAT filtering and it worked. Not sure what that is but for now my son is happy. Thanks again 

Message 3 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi Momof3boys88,

Gaming consoles such as Nintendo, Xbox and others requires for NAT to be off. It restricts the connection to the server that is why you are unable to have connection from Nintendo.

Message 4 of 5
Trikein
Luminary

I think you might be using simplified termology that is incorrect. NAT doesn't need to be off, NAT filtering just needs to be set to open. NAT is the routers ability to turn a public IP into private IP and visa versa. If you actually turned this off, your internet would stop working. NAT filtering refers to SPI used in the routers firewall. However turning off NAT filtering turns off the firewall for your entire network, not just the 3DS, which is a security concern.

Instead, I would suggest putting the 3DS into the router's DMZ. First you would need to set a DHCP reservation for the MAC address of your 3DS. See page 76-77 of manual to see how. This will make it so the same IP is assigned to the 3DS every time it connects. Then put that IP into the DMZ. See page 80 for more info on the DMZ. This will allow the 3DS to bypass the firewall, and you should be able to put NAT filtering back to on/secure. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7