× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DNS>PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error since latest update

frothy333
Aspirant

Re: DNS>PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error since latest update

I'm getting the same DNS behavior.  I hate to roll back the firmware b/c they said the update was critical.   But, short of going to get a new router, the roll back will be the only choice.  

Message 126 of 170

@frothy333 wrote:

I hate to roll back the firmware b/c they said the update was critical.  

Where did you read that? Which router do you own?

The Release Notes for the new firmware on the R6700v3 (see above) say that the new firmware "Fixes security vulnerabilities".

It says nothing about "critical".

Netgear, like other IT houses, never reveals what security vulnerabilities it hopes to fix. If it told you that, then the nasty people out there will know which unfixed vulnerabilities they can attack.

The "security vulnerabilities" term can mean many things. Often it means that some academic buried in a cave somewhere has cooked up an arcane exploit that can sneak into network devices in strange circumstances. These security vulnerabilities may not have been seen in the real world.

The choice is yours. Put up with the DNS errors you get and feel comfortable that lightning will not strike you. Or, like many other users, roll back to the previous firmware and run the risk that you may be the first person on the planet to see this security instructions.

Message 127 of 170
hrabcakm
Star

Message 128 of 170

Looks like that has nothing to do with this discussion.

Next thing you will tell us is that your rely in Facebook and Twitter for your advice on Covid.

I have yet to see a flood of messages from people who have been hit with security issues after reverting to earlier firmware.

Had those "vulnerabilities" been serious, they would have been evident before the "fix" turned up.

The choice is yours.

Message 129 of 170
phenry9999
Tutor

It doesn't say (at least I didn't see it) that Cirlce has to be on? I have it off (I'm not paying more $ monthly no less, for an already expensive router for something that should be incluced IMHO). That post does say if you use Circle, and I assume have it turned on in the router.

Message 130 of 170

@phenry9999 wrote:

(I'm not paying more $ monthly no less, for an already expensive router for something that should be incluced IMHO).

I'm with you there. But the truly paranoid will even spend money on Armor, another of Netgear's subscription services.

Message 131 of 170
hrabcakm
Star

Hey @michaelkenward , are you serious ?. Why you're insulting the members of the forum instead of finding out the ETA of the fix ?

We've spent hundreds of Euros for Netgear devices and relying that company will take care about software security and reliability.

From guru users I'm expecting a bit different answer. Why Asus doesn't have this issue and their routers are based on same SoC ? 

Let's imagine basic user that will buy router with recent FW version. Has dummy user have to investigate which Firmware version is most stable? 

C'mon. BTW recent FW with DNS issues also fixing issue that Guest users can achieve Remote Web Management also in case that it's disabled.

Security vs. Stability. Netgear reactions are on the level of 1st level Indian support, which we are paying for.

Check the release notes:

Bug Fixes:

• Fix the issue where a guest network client can access the router GUI using the router WAN IP, even though the remote management feature is disabled.  
  • Fixes security issues. 
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router, R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 132 of 170
phenry9999
Tutor

re Armor

Oh man, I didn't even know about that. I was just thinking of Circle for turning on\off internet access for specific devices. The main problem I found was it dramatically reduced individual bandwidth to every device. I went from getting nearly 1gb to 300. More money for less bandwidth? Not a good ROI for my network.

Message 133 of 170

@phenry9999 wrote:

Not a good ROI for my network.

You don't buy hardware or software these days. You get this box of electronics and pay an annual fee to use it!

Grrrr.

Message 134 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

"The choice is yours. Put up with the DNS errors you get and feel comfortable that lightning will not strike you. Or, like many other users, roll back to the previous firmware and run the risk that you may be the first person on the planet to see this security instructions."
Third choice....refuse to put up with the Netgear BS and go out and purchase a new router. Worked for me!

Message 135 of 170
drdeathdlg
Aspirant

This is happening across various models I have a R8000 at home and R6700v3 at work.  I have had to reinstall previous versions of firmware to get this to stop from happening on both. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 136 of 170
robjak
Luminary

Finally, NETGEAR released the fix. I have been using the beta since mid sept.   For my model R8300 Ver 1.0.2.156  released 11/05/2021.  

For all those waiting,  look for new FW to fix the DNS issues.  

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 137 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

Too late... I pitched mine in the garbage 2 months ago and bought an Asus.
Message 138 of 170
NicG
Aspirant

No new updates for the R6400v2. And it's replacement arrived today

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 139 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

Did you buy another Netgear router?
Message 140 of 170
mkx
Tutor
Tutor

No update for the R6700v3

Message 141 of 170
DuncStar1
Aspirant

No update yet for the R8000 either. I'm assuming any rollout will be staggered and throttled. So hoping it's just a waiting game, but that wait won't be too much longer.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 142 of 170
robjak
Luminary

After testing over the past few hours, i have been getting a few  DNS>PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error.  Maybe they have not fixed it in this release.  Sorry  may have jumped the gun.  If NETGEAR released new firmware and did not include the fix from the beta,  wow, **bleep** netgear.  I will do more testing.  

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 143 of 170

@robjak wrote:

After testing over the past few hours, i have been getting a few  DNS>PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error. 

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

Message 144 of 170
robjak
Luminary

I will not reset to factory setting for this DNS issue.  I have in the past and it did nothing.  I will not reset my router from scratch.  I have too many devices with set IPs that i do not want to redo.  I have saved backups, but using a saved backup defeats the purpose of the reset to factory settings.  

Netgear fixed the DNS with ver 155 (beta not released officially) .   Now Ver  156  does not have the fix. 

Winancy did the right thing.  She got out.   Others also.  Time to make a OPNsense router and use the netgear as a access point. 

Message 145 of 170
egc112
Tutor

Netgear makes great routers, I installed a bunch of R6400, R7000 and R7800 but in the software departement there is definetely room for improvement (the new DUMAOS is a lot better) but luckily there are great third party firmwares available.

When I get a new Netgear router the first thing I do  is to install something else like DDWRT 🙂

Message 146 of 170

@robjak wrote:

I will not reset to factory setting for this DNS issue. 

In that case, any experiments you make are, to say the least, incomplete and not much help to anyone else.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. That may just bring back the fault. But at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Message 147 of 170

@egc112 wrote:

Netgear makes great routers, I installed a bunch of R6400, R7000 and R7800 but in the software departement there is definetely room for improvement (the new DUMAOS is a lot better) but luckily there are great third party firmwares available.

There has certainly been some"slippage" in quality recently. Worse, they take too long to mend things like the issue that kicked off this coversation.

Fortunately, the R7800 soldiers on without issues. It has even avoided some of the garbage that Netgear has foisted on other routers, like Circle and Armor which seem to be designed to take your money away.

Hardware with DumaOS is expensive!

Message 148 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

I said BLEEP Netgear long ago, when after two days of tech support finally telling me that it was not the router, but my ISP. I don't know how the rest of you have tolerated 3 months of this!
Message 149 of 170
NicG
Aspirant

@Winancy wrote:
Did you buy another Netgear router?

@Winancy Absolutely not. I bought a mesh system from another manufacturer. It has been in place for two doays, s we will see how it goes. The family say all is working well and my son is happy wiht the improved wi-fi in his room. 

I might now try DDWRT or Tomato on the R6400 and see if I can create a bridge to the garage or to the small patio under teh trees on teh far sitde of the building. I used DDWRT on a previous router (cant remember the brand) and really liked it.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 150 of 170
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7