× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Every website now says my connection isn't secure after hard restart

seagrace
Aspirant

Every website now says my connection isn't secure after hard restart

I have a R6400v2 — AC1750  router and Netgear modem.
My Sonos started getting jagged and not connecting. I did a hard restart on everything including unplugging, which usually works. It didn't fix a thing. Then magically after a call with  Comcast I started getting some Internet back. BUT Safari on my phone and my hub's Pixel keeps saying our connection isn't private. That someone is impersonating the website. ??

Any idea how to fix?

Or do I need to buy a new modem/router again? My last purchase was about 3-4 years ago.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
seagrace
Aspirant

Re: Every website now says my connection isn't secure after hard restart

Thank you for your reply. I have a Netgear modem and Netgear router.

Somehow the problem fixed itself. Perhaps if I ignored it that may have happened.

Sometimes later at night Comcast does things and email and connections get screwy. Apparently the connection reset and all my websites loaded as normal.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies

@seagrace wrote:

I have a R6400v2 — AC1750  router and Netgear modem.

Which Netgear modem?

You have tagged the C6300. That is a modem/router. If you are using that with an R6400v2 then you are using two routers.

That can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

That strategy has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

My Sonos started getting jagged and not connecting. I did a hard restart on everything including unplugging, which usually works.

Jagged?

What tells you that the problem is with network rather than whatever this "Sonos" might be? (It is a brand that covers all sorts of things.)

What is a "hard restart"? A power cycle? Factory reset?

If you restarted the network, did you do it in the right order?

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

@seagrace wrote:

BUT Safari on my phone and my hub's Pixel keeps saying our connection isn't private. That someone is impersonating the website. ??

Again, what tells you that the network is the problem rather than your phone?

Where do you see messages about "impersonating the website"?

Or do I need to buy a new modem/router again? My last purchase was about 3-4 years ago.

I doubt it. But you may need to sort out what is going on at your end.

Message 2 of 4
seagrace
Aspirant

Somehow the problem fixed itself. Perhaps if I ignored it that may have happened.

Sometimes later at night Comcast does things and email and connections get screwy. Apparently the connection reset and all my websites loaded as normal.

Message 3 of 4

@seagrace wrote:

If you need help in future, tell people what that  modem is. Netgear has made many over the years. They aren't all the same.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7