× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FIRMWARE update R6220

brian1388
Initiate

FIRMWARE update R6220

I have been trying for two years to update my firmware to the latest version, and all I have is issues. My version is ancient, and I really want to get it current. When I download it, I open it and I get a message "the disk image file is corrupted". If I try using the app, it keeps telling me it can't find new firmware.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: FIRMWARE update R6220

A lot of people double click on the extracted file and expect it to install. 

You don't do that.

Once its extracted, you log into the router and upload that file to the router as detailed in the manual update process @Kitsap posted. 

Did you do that or did you try opening the file?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@brian1388 wrote:

I have been trying for two years to update my firmware to the latest version, and all I have is issues. My version is ancient, and I really want to get it current. When I download it, I open it and I get a message "the disk image file is corrupted". If I try using the app, it keeps telling me it can't find new firmware.

What is the version number of the firmware now on your router?

Specifically how are you trying to open it??? 

Have you unpacked the img file from the zip file?

Are you working on Windows or Mac?

Do you have a real computer you can connect to your router?  Preferably via Ethernet cable.

Have you reviewed the instructions for manually updating firmware here: 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

You don't do that.

Once its extracted, you log into the router and upload that file to the router as detailed in the manual update process @Kitsap posted. 

Did you do that or did you try opening the file?

Message 3 of 6

@plemans wrote:

This seems to be especially common among Mac users.

And it doesn't help that Netgear sometimes uses and .img file and at other times a .chk files. Both have very different alternative uses as file extensions.

Most Netgear manuals tell people what to do. But users seem to be a reluctance to go to the trouble of reading that stuff. Hence the constant flow of similar messages here.

Message 4 of 6
brian1388
Initiate

Thanks all, I have successfully installed the latest firmware.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

glad to hear it!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements