× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 only gives 200 on 300mbps Spectrum internet plan

VonZipper
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 only gives 200 on 300mbps Spectrum internet plan

After installing new ethernet cables: I connected all my gear like this:  Spectrum Modem > Netgear Nighthawk 1750 Wi-Fi router > to iMac my max internet speed is 225 Mbps.  After calling Spectrum customer support and running some tests they suggested I get a new Modem.  So I dropped by the nearest Spectrum and picked up a new modem.  After connecting and resetting the Netgear Wi-Fi router my speeds didn't improve.  So I called Spectrum again, this time they had me plug their modern directly into my iMac, and speeds jumped to 360+ Mbps. So that proved I was getting their advertised "300 Mbps" internet.

So what's wrong with my Nighthawk 1750 router and how can I fix?  Thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 only gives 200 on 300mbps Spectrum internet plan

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Don't enable any Access Controls, Armor, Circle or SPC or Traffic Meter. 

Use Ooklas installable speed test app on your Apple or Windows Ethernet connected PC. 

If this doesn't improve the speeds, may be time for a new router. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What model# is the AC1750 router? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 2 of 8
VonZipper
Aspirant

What model# is the AC1750 router?

R6400v2

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

V1.0.4.128_10.0.104
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

HiTRON EN2251
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

Brand new, just purchased from Amazon Basics

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Don't enable any Access Controls, Armor, Circle or SPC or Traffic Meter. 

Use Ooklas installable speed test app on your Apple or Windows Ethernet connected PC. 

If this doesn't improve the speeds, may be time for a new router. 

Message 4 of 8
VonZipper
Aspirant

I did a reset but nothing else.  I'll follow your instructions and see if that improves my situation.  Thanks for the guidance.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd power OFF the modem as well for 1 minute then back on. 

Message 6 of 8
VonZipper
Aspirant

I did a power reset and turned off ACCESS CONTROL and ran a test, 358 Mbps DOWN and 11.7 UP.

I have NEVER seen those speeds since I bought the router back in Jan 2019.  Thank you so much.  Not sure what ACCESS CONTROL did or does or maybe it was just the POWER DOWN/RESTART but I'm a happy camper.  Was going to throw in the towel and buy a new router.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7