× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

One pingable attached static device is missing from table

Snowslide
Follower

One pingable attached static device is missing from table

I've been forced to update from Win7 to Win10, with a new PC and I'm trying to reinstall and reconfigure my network, which monitors a bunch of remote devices.

One of the devices is an Nport serial to ethernet converter. It's configured with a static ip on the same subnet as my router. I can ping the device no problem.

What I don't get, is that of all the attached devices on this veneralble router, this particular device is missing from the list.  Neither it's IP nor it's MAC address is shown. Yet I can ping it.  It makes no sense.

Any ideas?

Model: WNR1000v3|Wireless Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: One pingable attached static device is missing from table

The "Attached Devices" list is not based on an active network scan. Best guess is that this device does not make much (or any) traffic to or through the router (Internet) so it will never become visible in the list. There are several more examples, like simple Web managed switches which don't show up for the same reason. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The "Attached Devices" list is not based on an active network scan. Best guess is that this device does not make much (or any) traffic to or through the router (Internet) so it will never become visible in the list. There are several more examples, like simple Web managed switches which don't show up for the same reason. 

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Have missed mentioning that the static IP is another key factor - as there is no DHCP, the router does not recognize the device, too.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7