× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6100 Drops out at least 3 times a week.

bob441
Tutor

R6100 Drops out at least 3 times a week.

I tried replying to a earlier post on this issue but the post is closed.

It ended with what sounded like a decent fix by "JerryinDFW"

He said:

"I did a big reply to this already. I had the same issues. The culprit was the cable modem. Check your cable modem's "Gateway - DHCP" settings. I'd suggest you try setting your private addresses to begin at 192.168.0.10, and the "Number of CPEs" to at least 15. That solved all my issues. I did factory reset the R6100 after that, and it went into its setup, and I let it install as an Access Point and it's rock solid now. Also, I'd suggest you connect your PC or laptop to the cable modem via Ethernet, and disable any wireless adapters in your main device. This worked beautifully for me, and stopped all my disconnect issues. I can still connect my laptop (My primary device) via WiFi with no issues if I like."

I was wondering if somone or JerryinDFW could privide for deatiled instructions to a non-technical person.

I have Optimum Internet Service (modem) hard wire to R6100 Router. It drops out at least 3 times a week. I reset the power on the Router and it's good for a couple days. Then goes out again. I read in another forum that it could be coax cable in the wall to the modem. I eleimanted that concern by hooking the system up in the basement right where it comes in the house.

Just not good at all the settings stuff, if someone could explain that in more deatil.

Thanks

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
bob441
Tutor

Re: R6100 Drops out at least 3 times a week.

I found out my ISP provides free wireless routers (Sagemcom). I picked one up a few days a go and the wifi so far has not dropped out.

In ten or so years of going wireless, I have gone through 4 routers, the last one was the R6100 thinking the higher the cost the better the realibility. Do routers actually go bad over time?? Like 1-2 years ?? We'll see how this new one does, but at least now if it does go bad I can just return for a new one. 

Thanks for all the help, Bob

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 19

All Replies
Disc0
Aspirant

I'm with him...so to speak.
Reflashed, new/er cable modem & flush/renew dns, etc. Lengthier cat5e for main PC (forget about IT, I see a format...), Samsung smart tv great both 2.4 & 5gHz, Epson WF520 is great, with ink, but Apple IPhone 5s has consistently fluctuated. Used previous android with wi-Fi analyzer & neighbors have stronger signals. On a diff channel, radio at 100%, so phone is good only in close proximity. Even focused with parabola from flashing & router geographics. No other wifi gives it this grief. I'm still open to mobile as issue, but not seeing solutions for phone in forums, just poss router settings, etc. Cell receives inconsistent fluctuations thru days, not evident via other devices at home, nor in it away from home. FYI, parabolic dish from flashing gave nearly 40% signal boost but inconsistency continues when device not moving. Incompatible or incorrect settings in both... Why no ext antennae for N6100? Could I solder on?
Message 2 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @bob441,

1. It looks like JerryinDFW had a modem-router combo installed which allowed him to install the R6100 as an access point.

2. Do you have a modem-router combo from the ISP installed or is it a stand alone modem?

3. If you have a modem-router combo and want to setup your router as an access point as well then you may refer to page 85 of the user manual linked below for the steps.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6100/R6100_UM_11Jul13.pdf

4. Are all wireless devices affected?

5. Does the issue persist on both bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz)?

6. Does the connection drop on wired devices as well?

7. What is the firmware version of the router?

8. Have you tried resetting the router by pressing the factory reset button?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 3 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Disc0,

1. Does the iPhone 5s experience the issue on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz band?

2. Do other wireless devices (other than smart TV and wireless printer) experience the issue as well?

3. Has the iPhone 5s experienced the issue with other wireless networks?

4. If it is looking like a signal issue for the iPhone, have you tried relocating the router?

5. The R6100 is designed to have internal antennas only.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 19
bob441
Tutor

DexterJB,

Thanks for taking the time to help with my problem.

My tech knowledge is about a 5 from 1 to 10. So i'll do my best to answer your questions.

1) N/A

2) I have a stand alone modem. My ISP does not offer a combo.

3) N/A

4) Yes, all devices are affected, iphones, ipads, and laptop.

5) Not sure about the 2.4 vs. 5 GHz.

6) We don't have any hard wired devices, Cable TV still works, and Cable landline phone still works. 

7) I have not tried to reset the router. 

Thanks, Bob

Message 5 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @bob441,

1. Setting up the router in access point mode is not an option since you have a stand alone modem.

2. If you have devices that are able to connect to the 5GHz band (denoted by a "5G" at the end of the wireless network name if you left it as default), then I recommend connecting them to that and check if the connection would also drop.

3. You can try changing the wireless channel of the router to avoid wireless interference. You may refer to the link below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23783

4. I would recommend bypassing the router and connecting a computer straight to the modem to check if the connection is stable from your ISP.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 19
bob441
Tutor

Dexter,

When I get home tonight I am going to hard wire my laptop directilya nd see what happens.

I had someone I work with read your #2 response, and he thought you were talking about a dual band router, He said if I had a dual band router I would essentially have two wifi's to select from on my devices. I as of now only have one choice on all devices. Maybe It was never set up as dual band, or maybe I don't have any devices that supoort 5G ??

Based on what you know so far about my set-up, would say that the signal coming in the house from my ISP to the modem is good? I typically only have to reset the power button on the router to get it work again after it drops out. So I/m thinking I'm good up to the modem.

Thanks, Bob

Message 7 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ bob441,

The router should broadcast both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz signal if you have not changed the default settings, so it is possible that your devices are not dual band. Its is also difficult to tell where the issue lies unless you have tested the connection straight from the modem and prove that it does not drop from the ISP side.

Please keep us posted on the results.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 19
bob441
Tutor

DexterJB,

I may have misunderstood the straight shot to my Laptop..

I have a cable running from the Router not the Modem to the Laptop.

I looked on the back of the modem and there is only one port for an eithernet cable, and that one runs to the router.

No drop outs yet either way.

Bob

Message 9 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @bob441,

If the it has not dropped on the wired connection on either the router or the modem then the issue is with the wireless stability. Have you already tried changing the wireless channel on the 2.4GHz? If not, I would recommend doing so. You can check the link that I've provided before.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23783

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 10 of 19
bob441
Tutor

Dexter,

Using the wireless network discovery tool you suggested, I found I was on the same channel as 4 other neighbors, and there was another channel with 3 neignbors. I changed mine to one different than those two. Also logging into the router I found my firmware is was of date, so that has been updated. So we'll see how all this effects the drop out issue.

Thanks, Bob

Message 11 of 19
bob441
Tutor

After changing channel, the wifi dropped out today, unfortunaletly the laptop was not coonected via. cable.

Trying another channel to see what happens.

Message 12 of 19
bob441
Tutor

Changed the Channel a second time to a different one. Dropped out agian, this time the laptop was hard wired to the Router as working fine.

Runining out of Channels.

Message 13 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @bob441,

Please make sure you have performed a factory reset if you have successfully updated the routers firmware. If you have not done it yet then you may refer to the link below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 14 of 19
bob441
Tutor

Desxter,

I reset the to factory settings last night, firmware is up to date, and put the channel on one with no neighbors. Woke this morning to no WIFI. The hard wired laptop does have interent. I noticed on my IPhone that my email last update at 2:46 AM, so it drops out overnight for some reason.

Thanks, Bob

Message 15 of 19
bob441
Tutor

Dexter,

I found this fix in an old closed out thread, any idea where and how to get to these settings? Just curious if this could be the problem.

Bob

"I did a big reply to this already. I had the same issues. The culprit was the cable modem. Check your cable modem's "Gateway - DHCP" settings. I'd suggest you try setting your private addresses to begin at 192.168.0.10, and the "Number of CPEs" to at least 15. That solved all my issues. I did factory reset the R6100 after that, and it went into its setup, and I let it install as an Access Point and it's rock solid now. Also, I'd suggest you connect your PC or laptop to the cable modem via Ethernet, and disable any wireless adapters in your main device. This worked beautifully for me, and stopped all my disconnect issues. I can still connect my laptop (My primary device) via WiFi with no issues if I like."

Message 16 of 19
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @bob441,

If the modem that you are using is indeed a stand alone modem then that solution does not apply to your setup. Also, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 17 of 19
bob441
Tutor

I tried poweing off my laptop last night to see if maybe there was a routine on the laptop that was causing the router to turn off the same time each night at 2:49 AM. The wifi was still off when I checked it the next morning. It is now dropping off mid day also. Having tried about everything I can think of ,I'm guessing my next step will contacting my ISP. They have come out every year, sometimes twice a year, some techs add signal boosters, some take it off, the signal is usually fine either way coming into the house. I'm convinced now it is something in the lines from the streeet. Determined to figure this out.

Message 18 of 19
bob441
Tutor

I found out my ISP provides free wireless routers (Sagemcom). I picked one up a few days a go and the wifi so far has not dropped out.

In ten or so years of going wireless, I have gone through 4 routers, the last one was the R6100 thinking the higher the cost the better the realibility. Do routers actually go bad over time?? Like 1-2 years ?? We'll see how this new one does, but at least now if it does go bad I can just return for a new one. 

Thanks for all the help, Bob

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7