× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB stick access WNDR3400v2

HarryM1BYT
Aspirant

USB stick access WNDR3400v2

I have two Netgear routers, #1 a DGN2200v3, which connects to the broadband and provides some wired some WiFi access to the upper part of the house and #2 a WNDR3400v2 which provides Wifi access on the groundfloor. #2 has a wired LAN connection to #1 and all works fine, that is apart from the USB of number #2. #2 is my most recent aquisition, this past week, bought to replace a much older router which had no USB socket. 

I have no issues accessing the Readyshare of #1, it has a 30Gb memory stick in it.

I have tried various direct ways to access the USB on #2 and I just get a 404 error - including

http://10.131.97.176/readysharegrnd....gin.net/shares
http://10.131.97.176/readyshare.routerlogin.net/shares
http://readyshareGRND.routerlogin.net/shares

I have tried giving the Readyshare on #2 a different name via #2 USB page, Readysharegrnd.

My #1 USB shows on the network, but not #2 USB.

I have tried switching #1 off and rebooting, so it isn't confusing the two and pulling the network cable that links the two.

On the #2 router's front page (Genie) shows the USB ReadySHARE as -READY.
On the USB Advanced page it shows it as Not Shared, however if I plug a USB HDD in it shows that as shared as, but I still cannot access it. Trying to use Edit, it only allows me to change the share name and Workgroup name. I cannot see a way to alter the Not Shared, nor create a directory on the stick - button does nothing.

What ever is plugged into the USB port it seems to see, stick or a USB HDD - looking at the router's Advanced page.

When I first plugged the stick into #2, it did show it as Shared.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
HarryM1BYT
Aspirant

Re: USB stick access WNDR3400v2

That fits with my experience, now you have explained it.

#1 is set to do the DHCP, #2 has DHCP turned off. Briefly when I factory reset the router this morning, its Readyshare appeared, but then disappeared as soon as I had #2 reconfigured to work with my network and its internal IP's, with the DHCP turned off.

I wonder if I might be able to run with DHCP set to on on both routers and give each router a separate range of IP's to dish out?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @HarryM1BYT

Did you try resetting the unit? 

How about using a different USB drive like a thumb drive? 

Message 2 of 7
HarryM1BYT
Aspirant

I have made some small progress....

I was unable to use Edit to edit the properties - this was because the Readyshare setup page used popup windows and these were blocked by my browser.

I have tried rebooting and resetting several times and three different sticks and a USB HDD. All can be edited and the properties of each show on the routers setup web pages and USB LED on the front of the router goes on and off as they are plugged in, but none show on my network, other than the USB plugged into my main Netgear router. 

Thinking there might be a clash of names, I called the latest one //readysharegrnd. I also tried turning off the main one, to be certain there wasn't a name clash. I also updated it to the latest firmware - nothing I have tried has helped.

Message 3 of 7
HarryM1BYT
Aspirant

I reset it this morning, yet one more time and the Readyshare appeared in the network folder for the very first time. I was able to browse the stick, or swap it for a USB HDD and browse that, or at least until I reconnected the the router up to the rest of my network then I lost all access to that readyshare and gained access to my readshare on router #1. I then tried changing the name of the readyshare on router #2 to readysharegrnd, but it still refused to show up in my network folder.

So my question now is - should I be able to have more than one USB readyshare on a single network?

Message 4 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, you can have multiple access on the ReadySHARE. 

You will just have to make sure that your computer has the right IP address.

Example, if both of your NETGEAR devices are acting as a router and let's say you want to access the USB on #1 then your computer must have the IP address from #1 router.

Now, if you want to access the USB that's connected on #2 router then you must be connected to the SSID or directly connected to the #2 router in order to get the proper IP address from it. 

However, if #2 router is configured as a regular Access Point, you will have to assign an IP address statically on #2 and access it through whatever IP address that you assigned under LAN IP address. 

Message 5 of 7
HarryM1BYT
Aspirant

That fits with my experience, now you have explained it.

#1 is set to do the DHCP, #2 has DHCP turned off. Briefly when I factory reset the router this morning, its Readyshare appeared, but then disappeared as soon as I had #2 reconfigured to work with my network and its internal IP's, with the DHCP turned off.

I wonder if I might be able to run with DHCP set to on on both routers and give each router a separate range of IP's to dish out?

Message 6 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If the other one is in Access Point mode, just make sure that you assign a static LAN IP Address that is in the same range of your DHCP so you can access it anytime without switching connection.

You should be able to access the USB on that AP by using the LAN IP address that you have assigned on it. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7