× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using old router as wifi extender?

richscheer
Aspirant

Using old router as wifi extender?

does anyone know if i can use my wndr3400v3 router as a wifi extender to extend the signal from my non-netgear router?  if so, can you provide instructions on how to set up?

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Using old router as wifi extender?

I don't see that the wndr3400 supports repeater/extender function. 

If you wanted to use it, you could hardwire it in via ethernet, moca adapters, or powerline and use it in access point mode. 

Message 2 of 6
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi richscheer,

Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Thank you for reaching out. The WNDR3400v3 router doesn't support a wireless repeating function.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 3 of 6
richscheer
Aspirant

when hard wiring and setting up as an access point does that require new/different wifi name/password or can it use the same as my cable modem router already has?  i have 15+ devices already set up to run off of the cable modem router and don't want to have to reprogram all of them manually.

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

You can use the same ssid. but that isn't a mesh router/device. So devices will tend to be sticky and not roam like they would with a mesh setup that has the smart roaming specs built in. 

You can try it and if you don't like it, simply log in and change the ssid to something seperate. 

Message 5 of 6
richscheer
Aspirant

thanks everyone.  most devices are 'static' such lights or streaming devices in a tv so they shouldnt have an issue with "roaming" so i will give it a try

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7