× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi set up Recommendations with three R6300v2's

cderrington
Tutor

WiFi set up Recommendations with three R6300v2's

Hi Folks,

My buddy bought and I'm setting up three R6300v2 routers at his nightclub to replace two OLD WiFi routers.  He bought the R6300v2 so he could use the Facebook WiFi "check-in thingy".  

I'm looking for advice to see if I should set them up as one Router (providing WiFi too) and two AP's, or should I setup each R6300v2 as its own router (so there are actually three networks).

As I see it the one router and two AP's make sense so all devices are on one network, but we're limited to about 200 clients(heck, I'm not sure the R6300v2 can handle 200 clients)

If I go with three networks, can they all have the same SSID?  I don't think I should use the same SSID for the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz, but I'm hoping that I can have three that say "BAR-NAME-2.4GHZ" and three that say "BAR-NAME-5GHZ"

Will fast roaming work if I set up three networks?
Should the DHCP ranges all be the same?  I assume that the IP ranges should be different but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any input you can provide,

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

@cderrington wrote:

Do you know what settings I should turn off to put the least amount of stress on the CPU and RAM of the "main" router?

I've never seen any suggestion here that this is an issue with this sort of hardware.

You may be creating a problem for yourself that doesn't exist.

Suck it and see is my advice.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies

@cderrington wrote:

I'm looking for advice to see if I should set them up as one Router (providing WiFi too) and two AP's

That is probably the least troublesome route. Or you could end up with three routers fighting to control the local network.

There is a manual for the R6300v2 somewhere at the end of this link::

>>> R6300v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See page 100.

Message 2 of 4
cderrington
Tutor

Thanks for the great answer!

Do you know what settings I should turn off to put the least amount of stress on the CPU and RAM of the "main" router?
I'm assuming that making sure traffic monitoring is not on will help and turning off UPNP but I'm not sure and don't know what other settings tax the processor and RAM.  I tried calling support but they were clueless.

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 3 of 4

@cderrington wrote:

I've never seen any suggestion here that this is an issue with this sort of hardware.

You may be creating a problem for yourself that doesn't exist.

Suck it and see is my advice.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series