× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

unable to obtain ip address on linux when wired to 6300v2 in AP mode

d4n1d4r
Aspirant

unable to obtain ip address on linux when wired to 6300v2 in AP mode

this is my setup:

modem --> openwrt-router(no wifi) -- netgear R6300v2(AP mode) -- dual boot laptop. 

I have repurposed the r6300v2 running firmware V1.0.4.46_10.0.93 in AP mode and connected it to an openwrt router which. 

the openwrt router has no wifi. I would like to use the netgear as a wireless switch simply because i don't have enough ports on the openwrt router. 

I dual-boot fedora 36 and windows 10 in a laptop. 
when I connect the laptop to a lan port of the netgear router I do not get an IP address from the dhcp server. but I do if i connect the same laptop through wifi. 

I thought perhaps that the lan interfaces were disabled by netgear genie when running ap mode. so I booted in windows and to my surprise windows is able to obtain an ip address while wired to the netgear router. 

If I connect the laptop directly to the openwrt router with an ethernet cable i am able to get the IP. (on linux and windows)  so there is something in the netgear router that is preventing linux from getting an ip address. 

what could be wrong here?

Message 1 of 4

Re: unable to obtain ip address on linux when wired to 6300v2 in AP mode

@d4n1d4r wrote:

I thought perhaps that the lan interfaces were disabled by netgear genie when running ap mode. so I booted in windows and to my surprise windows is able to obtain an ip address while wired to the netgear router. 

Have you checked the documentation on AP mode?

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You'll see that a device doesn't do much in that mode.

If I connect the laptop directly to the openwrt router with an ethernet cable i am able to get the IP. (on linux and windows)  so there is something in the netgear router that is preventing linux from getting an ip address. 

Or something in your openwrt router?

Message 2 of 4
d4n1d4r
Aspirant

yes indeed the features disabled in ap mode does not specify that the lan dchp passthrough is disabled or is it? 

how can it be the openwrt router if windows is able to get a dhcp address and on linux wifi can get a dhcp address it is jut the wired interface where the bootp packets do not even reach the router 

do netgear disable lan dhcp passthrough in ap mode? that is not written in the doc... 

Message 3 of 4
leoyan
Aspirant

Hi, I can confirm I have the same issue.

After I set my R6300v2 in AP mode, then any machine connected with LAN port in R6300v2 cannot get dynamic IP address from the connected OpenWRT router.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7