× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear switch disappears from Meraki

Netgear switch disappears from Meraki

I have a GS310TP that is connected directly to my Meraki MX65 SD-WAN device. It was showing up in the client list on the Meraki dashboard as having claimed an IP, I was able to log in, all that jazz. Now it seems to have disappeared from the list with no rhyme or reason. If i view previously active connections it shows up, and i can connect to its IP address. Why wouldn’t it show an active connection now?

Lots of users so i do network HW restarts sparingly. Any other ideas?
Model: GS310TP|NETGEAR® S350 Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP Ports
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Adding an NTP server to the config does it!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@RumorConsumer,

Let us try this.  Kindly disconnect the GS310TP from the Meraki MX65.  Then, set a static IP address to the GS310TP that is within the IP address range of your existing network.  Afterwards, connect the GS310TP to the Meraki MX65.  Check if the static IP address you have set on the GS310TP is showing up in the client list of the Meraki dashboard.  Also, check if you will get a response when you ping the static IP address of the GS310TP. 

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

The thing with many "attached devices" UI design requires that a device does talk through a device/router/security appliance. Ethernet switch management interfaces sparsely talk to the Internet (very different from most computers or mobile devices), some "active" polling by ping, SNMP, or a simple LLDP-MD would be able to confirm the switch management interface is still active.

We see the very similar question on Netgear's consumer routers - switches seem to disappear from the Attached Device lists very easily.

Using a static IP makes it even harder, as there won't be any BOOTP/DHCP process.

Message 3 of 5

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@RumorConsumer wrote:

Cool idea - this is causing the IP traffic will help the Meraki to recognize it as a system present and active on the network.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements