× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

frequent brief disconnects and speed bottleneck on A7000 nighthawk adapter

ChristianDenos
Aspirant

frequent brief disconnects and speed bottleneck on A7000 nighthawk adapter

Every other minute or so I lose connection for a few seconds. Thought it might have to do with the old internet cables going into my apartment so I had xfinity come out and replace them. still had issues. then they replaced the cables going to the main hub of my apartment complex. still no solution. Upgraded to gig speed and now have an additional problem of being capped out at 275megs when my phone is getting 600+megs when tested right next to my adapter. I've spent 5+ hours searching posts and videos of people with similar problems with this adapter and also with windows potentially slowing internet speed. Implemented all solutions with no changes. Please help. I dont want to have to run an ethernet through my apartment when i see others having better performance than me with the same equipment.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 7

Re: frequent brief disconnects and speed bottleneck on A7000 nighthawk adapter

@ChristianDenos wrote:

Upgraded to gig speed and now have an additional problem of being capped out at 275megs when my phone is getting 600+megs when tested right next to my adapter.

What is being "capped out at 275megs"? (I assume you mean you get a top speed of 275Mbps.)

What is this mobile connected to? Your router? A cellullar network? Something else?

How are you making these speed measurements. Different sites will give different results, regardless of the devices you use.

The speed of any wifi device depends on the client and the source of the wifi.

A speed of 275Mbps is pretty good, and is fast enough to do just about anything. The quoted speeds for the A7000 of "up to 600/1300Mbps" are the usual marketing flim flam. (The manual lists top speeds for various wifi sources, starting at 54 Mbps.)  In a real world, you may well be getting as fast as the USB device can handle.

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

People who really need speed, as opposed to just wanting to feel a warm glow when they run speed tests, will always go for a wired network. It could even be that Powerline Ethernet beats wifi.

Message 2 of 7
ChristianDenos
Aspirant

Yes megs means mbps.

My phone was connected to the same network.

I used xfinity speed test for both my computer and phone.

The main issue is the frequent disconnects. it makes competitive gaming virtually impossible when those 2 second disconnects means death in real time gaming.

Before upgrading my internet, 275mbps was fine for me. But that just created a seperated bottleneck issue which is quite frustrating when im paying for more speed and not getting it and also seeing others posting their 600+mbps speed with this adapter.

I understand ethernet is the best choice which would most likely solve my problems. But running the cable is unrealistic in my situation of where im living.  I paid for this adapter because its the best on the market and i want what it is advertised to do yet i've run into 1 major and 1 minor issue. I'm looking for answers to them, not suggestions of using different equipment of which i've already mentioned would "on paper" be the better option but it just isnt for me.

Apologies for the frustration. This has just been an ongoing issue and ive spent quite a bit of time attempting to solve with no success.

Message 3 of 7
bagg1o
Guide

@ChristianDenos  many here had similar issues with this adapter, at least on modern setups, it have outdated software that is probbly not going to be updated any soon, but if your setup is not that new it will not hit you probably.

But, even if it had up to date software, getting stable speeds above 300Mbps on wireless means you'd need to basically stand near the router in most cases. This is my favourite page I show to people who wants to understand why they do not get speeds they want: http://mcsindex.com/ - it will show you how many modern technologies needs to be employeed for these speeds, like spatial streams, encodings or short GI "tricks" that need to be supported by both router and adapter - and all of those streams need to have good connection, also many of these technologies need better connection stability as you progress through them.

This is rarely told by marketers - but WiFi is not for speed, as already mentioned by michael. This is the reason I never bought internet above 300Mbps even though >1Gbps is easily achievable these days - because I don't want cables laying around and it's not feasible to get above this speed in most cases on wireless and to keep it anywhere stable. In practice, these kind of speeds are either for multiple simultaneous wireless users at home, or for wired connections.

Message 4 of 7
ChristianDenos
Aspirant

@bagg1o Ill have to check out that link you sent about internet speed. Though i dont understand how netgear can advertise 1.9gbps with this adapter when its supposedly not possible. I've never seen people get more than 600mbps with this adapter. Also, if im getting 600+mbps on my phone, why cant i get that with my adapter advertised to go 3 times that speed?

About a year ago i upgraded every component of my computer which is about a 1000 usd build which was right before the gpu crisis. so the bottleneck is very unlikely coming from anything else other than the adapter or potentially windows 10 itself.

Again, the main issue is not the speed bottleneck. It is the disconnects every other minute for 2-5 seconds. I've implemented solutions mentioned on previous posts here and youtube videos of people experiencing this same issue but to no success. Such as disabling RunSwUSB service and disabling 2.4ghz channel to prevent the channel swapping. Im really hoping someone can explain to me how to fix it or why those solutions are not working for me.

Message 5 of 7

@ChristianDenos wrote:

... running the cable is unrealistic in my situation of where im living. 

I know you don't want alternative solutions, but that constraint is not a game stopper. No new cables needed.

This is where Powerline Ethernet can help. It turns your local mains circuit into an Ethernet network.

Forget about USB3, the LAN ports on the newest Powerline plugs are Gigabit. You won't get that speed, but something like a PL1000 should beat your wifi experience, certainly for stability and reliability. Performance does depend on the local mains circuit, but there shouldn't be much problem if you have a typical domestic setup.

You can even get Powerline networks with a wireless access point as the "remote" plug.

Otherwise, persevere with your USB adapter. But, as @bagg1o says, it may not be straightforward.

Message 6 of 7

@ChristianDenos wrote:

About a year ago i upgraded every component of my computer which is about a 1000 usd build which was right before the gpu crisis. so the bottleneck is very unlikely coming from anything else other than the adapter or potentially windows 10 itself.

If this is a "home rolled" PC, was it a new motherboard?

I've been down that road recently and always check for updates to the chipset drivers, especially the USB. I don't even rely on the motherboard maker to have the latest. I track back to the chip makers, Intel, Reaktek and so on.

I have never had any need for heavyweight wifi, but if I did I would have put in a PCI-e card to cover that.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7