× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

JGS516 Switch - devices cannot connect to the internet

JVK1
Aspirant

JGS516 Switch - devices cannot connect to the internet

New house, just installed a 16-port Netgear switch in server rack, plugged into an Orbi wireless router. All of the devices that connect over wifi are fine. The devices that are wired to the switch are failing to connect to the internet. I've tried rebooting and replugging everything; Internet will come up for a few minutes and then drop out again. All devices show up as connected in the Orbi setup page. Note that there is a smaller, older 5 port switch connected that's in the TV room and all those devices (LGTV, AppleTV, PS4) are online.
The main thing I notice is different are the IP addresses: the wifi devices and the living room switch devices are all 192.168.1.x, while the devices hardwired into the 16 port switch are all 192.168.10.x. Those devices also list the router as being 192.168.10.1.
I thought I knew about networking but this is the first time this has happened to me. Is that a subnet that the 16 port devices are on? If so then how did that get created? Do I need to set something different on the Orbi router like DMZ? Based on how that smaller 5 port switch worked in my previous home I didn't think I had to configure anything with a switch in the mix. What am I doing wrong?

Switch: JGS516

Router: Orbi RBR40

Modem: Sercomm ES2251(Spectrum)

Model: JGS516|16 Port Gigabit Switch
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: JGS516 Switch - devices cannot connect to the internet

Strange - this does not make much sense for three reasons:

1. The JGS516 is a plain L2 switch, IP subnet and DHCP, nothing it would impact on that end.

2. To my knowledge, the Orbi RBR40 does not support and handle more than one network and subnet, even the guest network is on the same LAN IP subnet, the isolation is done in pure L2 implementation.

3. As these 192.168.10.x addresses are different from your Orbi RBR40 [W]LAN subnet, they would more likely  come from a different device, e.g. a router, cable modem, cable router, ...

What LAN and WAN/Internet IP addresses are shown on your RBR40 router?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements