× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I transfer old hardrives to new NAS without losing the data?

Sojourner
Follower

Can I transfer old hardrives to new NAS without losing the data?

I have an old ReadyNAS pro Model RNDP6350-100NAS that died. It has 3 WD 3TB hard-drives in place and I think it was in XRAID. I cannot turn this unit on. If I remove the 3TB hard drives and install one or two of them into a new ReadyNAS RN212 can I do this without losing the data on those discs?

Just in case the answer is no, I did have the data backed up onto a separate WD Mybook hard drive. Would it be easier for me to just reformat the disks in the new NAS and then transfer the data over from the WD Mybook drive?

Thanks for your assistance

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6350|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can I transfer old hardrives to new NAS without losing the data?

Hi Sojourner,

Welcome to the Community!

Since you already have a backup of your data, it will be easier for you to just reformat the disks and then restore the data afterwards.

Just in case that your backup is not up-to-date, there is a process on how you can access the data using the new NAS and offload it temporarily to an alternate location (external USB HD, network share, etc.). You may check this link for the procedure.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Sojourner,

Welcome to the Community!

Since you already have a backup of your data, it will be easier for you to just reformat the disks and then restore the data afterwards.

Just in case that your backup is not up-to-date, there is a process on how you can access the data using the new NAS and offload it temporarily to an alternate location (external USB HD, network share, etc.). You may check this link for the procedure.

Regards,

Message 2 of 3
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Sojourner,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The NETGEAR community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements