× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changing two discs from flex-raid JBOD to Flexrate Raid1

shedemand
Guide

Changing two discs from flex-raid JBOD to Flexrate Raid1

I'm in a mess (again).
I installed a new WDred 3TB and transferred all data to the disc from backup.
Mode was Xraid JBOD.
I then bought another WDred 3TB to create a Raid1, installed it and formatted after changing Xraid to Flexraid to avoid it went into automatic expansion.
Number two also became a JBOD, but nothing is now happening, although i says Raid1 under the disc-picture (see this), and I can change absolutely nothing now!
What can I do to get the desired Raid1-sytem without deleting disc one with all the data ?? A restart makes no difference.
Rgds Søren
P.S. I'm used to manuals, but I think the Netgear-manual lacks proper and thorough solutions for common configuration problems like this!
I hope the community can provide an answer.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Changing two discs from flex-raid JBOD to Flexrate Raid1

You don't have RAID-1 (despite what it shows you under the disk graphic).

Begin by destroying the second 'sdb" volume (select its settings wheel, and you should see that option).

What you should have done is left the NAS in XRAID - then it would have automatically switched to RAID-1 for you. "Automatic Expansion" for the second disk means adding RAID redundancy (JBOD->RAID-1). 

So after you destroy the sdb volume, try clicking on the XRAID control. 

If it still lets you do that (showing you the green stripe on the XRAID control), then see if it starts syncing.  If it doesn't begin doing that after a minute, then try selecting the second disk from the center graphic, and then click "format" on the right. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You don't have RAID-1 (despite what it shows you under the disk graphic).

Begin by destroying the second 'sdb" volume (select its settings wheel, and you should see that option).

What you should have done is left the NAS in XRAID - then it would have automatically switched to RAID-1 for you. "Automatic Expansion" for the second disk means adding RAID redundancy (JBOD->RAID-1). 

So after you destroy the sdb volume, try clicking on the XRAID control. 

If it still lets you do that (showing you the green stripe on the XRAID control), then see if it starts syncing.  If it doesn't begin doing that after a minute, then try selecting the second disk from the center graphic, and then click "format" on the right. 

Message 2 of 4
shedemand
Guide

That did the job, and thank you.
BUT: Nowhere in the manual is this procedure described, nowhere does i say that all along the resync a message in flashing yellow say DEGRADED, and nowhere does it say, that to obtain a Raid1 you must be in X-Raid mode!
On the contrary Raid1 is listed with the other Raid possibilities under Flex-raid.
Not good enough Netgear, and thanks to the clever people in the community who is doing Netgears job!
Søren/Denmark

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@shedemand wrote:

nowhere does it say, that to obtain a Raid1 you must be in X-Raid mode!

That's not the case - you could have gotten to RAID1 in FlexRAID.  I just gave you the simplest way to proceed.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements