× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect PC second port to NAS second port

Deeley_s
Aspirant

Connect PC second port to NAS second port

The readynas has two ethernet ports. One I have connected to my main network switch, but I want to use the second to make a direct connection between my PC and the NAS so I can do video editing without fighting the traffic on the switch (two kids playing massive online games). My PC has a second ethernet port. How do I configure the second ethernet on the NAS and the second ethernet on my PC to talk to each other? I'm running windows 10 Pro

Simple language, please - I'm competent but no expert!  Many thanks

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Connect PC second port to NAS second port

@Deeley_s wrote:

but I want to use the second to make a direct connection between my PC and the NAS so I can do video editing without fighting the traffic on the switch (two kids playing massive online games).

Since the kid's video traffic isn't directed at either your PC or your NAS, there shouldn't be any conflict with your traffic.  A decent switch will have enough bandwidth to allow all ports to operate at full speed in both directions.

For instance, look at the Nighthawk switch spec's here: https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/switches/Nighthawk-switches/GS808E.aspx#tab-techspe....  It's an 8 port gigabit switch, with 16 gbps backplane bandwidth.   That's 2 gbps per port, allowing all ports to operate at full speed in both directions simultaneously.

Though the Nighthawk switch certainly isn't the cheapest, the backplane bandwidth spec isn't unusual.  All Netgear switches have similar backplane bandwidth, and I expect competing switches do as well. 

Note also that your local wired traffic doesn't touch the router at all, since the switch is forwarding the traffic directly to the destination (using the destination MAC address in the ethernet header).  When I'm streaming video from my NAS through my switch, I can turn the router off, and the stream isn't affected at all.

So I recommend that you simply leave the ports unconnected.  If you are using a fast ethernet switch, the best solution is to upgrade it to gigabit.

@Deeley_s wrote:

How do I configure the second ethernet on the NAS and the second ethernet on my PC to talk to each other?

The process is to assign a static IP address to second ports on both the NAS and the PC.  For instance, if your router uses address range 192.168.1.x, then you could assign the NAS to use IP 192.168.2.2 with a gateway of 192.168.2.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.  Assign the PC's second port to 192.168.2.3, gateway 192.168.2.1, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

Then be careful to access the NAS using IP address 192.168.2.2.  Don't use it's hostname or its router IP address.

As noted above, you won't see any performance difference if you are using a gigabit switch.  

Message 2 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Deeley_s!

Welcome to the Community!

You will have to configure static IP addresses on both the NAS port and PC port. The IPs should be out of range from your Local network. 

For example, if you are using 192.168.1.x for your network then you will have to configure a static IP address in range 192.168.3.x  for the NAS and PC port.

You can check this article on how to setup static IP for the NAS and this article for your Windows 10 PC.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 3 of 7
Deeley_s
Aspirant

Marc_V,

Thank you for the extremely helpful response. I'm failing to make the connection because I'm being asked for a router address - the NAS won't set a static address without it. I've tried keeping it at the 0.0.0.0 figure it comes with, and it just flashes red at me.Any ideas?

To the comments about improving the router instead, I appreciate the truth of what you're saying, but  I'm gigabit ethernet throughout with a 200MB fibre to the outside, and my kids can still tell when I'm uploading pictures (and vice-versa). Lots of extremely high bandwith usage in our house.  I already have a high spec router I don't want to change. A separate private LAN for me would mean we could all work in peace for just the cost of  a bit of cat 6 cable

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Deeley_s wrote:

To the comments about improving the router instead, I appreciate the truth of what you're saying, but  I'm gigabit ethernet throughout with a 200MB fibre to the outside, and my kids can still tell when I'm uploading pictures (and vice-versa).

Are you using a switch or just the router?  Also, what model?  

Note you can add a small gigabit switch (perhaps ~$50) that only have the NAS and the PC on it, and that will completely offload the traffic from the rest of your network (without the second network connection).

@Deeley_s wrote:

Marc_V,

Thank you for the extremely helpful response. I'm failing to make the connection because I'm being asked for a router address - the NAS won't set a static address without it. I've tried keeping it at the 0.0.0.0 figure it comes with, and it just flashes red at me.Any ideas?

Can you post a screen shot that shows the problem?

Message 5 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Deeley_s

It should let you set a static IP address with only the IP and Subnet being filled out and others left blank. If it is the message regarding adding a DNS address, you can click on OK and still let you apply the settings. What is the IP address you are trying to assign?

Regards

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

If you mean the gateway address, just assign 192.168.x.1 (where x matches the IP address you are assigning to the PC and the NAS).  Perhaps use 192.168.x.2 and 192.168.x.3 for the PCs.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements