× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Diagnose Readynas Duo

Andy1337
Aspirant

Diagnose Readynas Duo

Trying to start my ReadyNas Duo RND2210v2 after it probably was shut down non-gracefully (power outage). It's been stuck for 12 hours and the only LED showing is the Disc Activity LED that blinks every 5 seconds. All the other LEDs are not doing anything at all.

Not accessible via RAIDar. Any suggestions?

Model: RND2210v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 2TB (2 X 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Andy1337 wrote:

Trying to start my ReadyNas Duo RND2210v2

Let's start by confirming the platform/model.

The original Duo (called v1 here)

• says ReadyNAS Duo on the front panel
  • runs 4.1.x firmware
  • often has labels that say v2 (and perhaps even v3)

The Duo v2

• says ReadyNAS Duo v2 on the front panel
  • runs 5.3.x firmware

Can you let us know which version you have?

Message 2 of 18
Andy1337
Aspirant

It said RND2210v2 on the bottom BUT it says ReadyNas DUO on the front and it likely runs 4.1.6.

Message 3 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Andy1337 wrote:

it says ReadyNas DUO on the front

So it's the original (called v1 here)

@Andy1337 wrote:

it likely runs 4.1.6.

If you are looking at the labels, then 4.1.6 would be the firmware it shipped with.  Hopefully you updated that periodically.  The final firmware was 4.1.16.

@Andy1337 wrote:

It's been stuck for 12 hours and the only LED showing is the Disc Activity LED that blinks every 5 seconds. All the other LEDs are not doing anything at all.

Start by powering it down, and removing the disk(s) - labeling them by slot, so you can replace them later on.

The power up the NAS, and see if RAIDar finds it, and reports a "no disks" status.  The NAS uses the following LED codes:

LED blink behavior for 2 disk systems is three quick blinks of all disk LEDs and the backup LED, followed by an 1s delay, followed by a number of slow blinks.  The number of slow blinks will be the error code.

Current error codes:
1 - Vendor mismatch
2 - No disks detected
3 - Bad contents on root partition of disks
4 - Flash error
5 - Unsupported RAID configuration

So the NAS should also give you the "no disks detected" pattern when you do this.

While the disks are removed, it would be good to test them.  You need to be able to connect them to a Windows PC to do that (either with SATA or with a USB adapter/dock).  Windows won't be able to mount them, but the vendor diags will find them and can test them.  Use Seatools for Seagate disks, and either Lifeguard or WD's digital dashboard for Western Digital.  Run the full generic (non-destructive) test.

Message 4 of 18
Andy1337
Aspirant

Yes, removing both disks makes RAIDar find the NAS with status "No disks detected". The web interface is not accessible. 

Can I remove just one of the disks to see if it's booting?

I have to buy something to connect the HDDs to a PC, if I find that just one of them are working - what are my options?

Message 5 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Andy1337 wrote:

Yes, removing both disks makes RAIDar find the NAS with status "No disks detected". The web interface is not accessible. 

All that is normal (the NAS boots from the disks)

@Andy1337 wrote:

I have to buy something to connect the HDDs to a PC, if I find that just one of them are working - what are my options?

Are you running the default XRAID/RAID-1? 

Do you have a backup of your data?

If you are running XRAID/RAID-1, then it is possible that the NAS will boot with just disk 2 inserted (in slot 2).

Message 6 of 18
Andy1337
Aspirant

If XRAID/RAID-1 is the default, then yes, probably. I've never chosen anything else, I think.

No backup of data (it's a NAS ffs :)) 

Message 7 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Andy1337 wrote:

No backup of data (it's a NAS ffs :)) 

RAID is useful, but isn't enough to keep your data safe. NAS (like all storage) need to be backed up if you care about the data.

Hopefully we'll be able to get your data back. 

Message 8 of 18
Andy1337
Aspirant

Picked up on this issue now.

I bought a SATA - USB adapter, and while Seatools can't detect any hard drive - HDDScan can detect both. It seems disk 1 has many, many errors but disk 2 might be healthy.

What do you suggest I do as a next step? Is it harmless to try and start the NAS with only disk 2 inserted?

Edit: It seems disk 2 has no partitions according to Windows Disk Management.

Message 9 of 18
StephenB
Guru

If you don't have email alerts set up, you might want to take care of that after everything is up and running.  Disk errors would have resulted in you getting an email.

@Andy1337 wrote:

Is it harmless to try and start the NAS with only disk 2 inserted?

Yes, I'd try this next.  I'd put it back in bay 2 (leaving slot 1 empty).

@Andy1337 wrote:

Edit: It seems disk 2 has no partitions according to Windows Disk Management.

The RAID array in the original Duo is hardware accelerated, and at least the data volume has no partition.  So I think this is normal.

Message 10 of 18
Andy1337
Aspirant

Inserted disk 2 in slot 2 and it shows up in RAIDar but I can't access web interface, and I can't browse it. It shows up like this in RAIDar:

raidar.jpg

Don't know if the image works but otherwise, it's here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/psbgmxyr5473ppc/raidar.jpg?dl=0

Message 11 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Andy1337 wrote:

Inserted disk 2 in slot 2 and it shows up in RAIDar but I can't access web interface, and I can't browse it. It shows up like this in RAIDar:

raidar.jpg

Try hovering your mouse over the various status balls - that should give you a bit more status info.

Message 12 of 18
Andy1337
Aspirant

It says "RAID Level X, Not redundant. A disk failure will render this volume dead.". The first yellow dot under the disks says that disk 1 is dead (which I guess is logical, since it's not in place).

raidar2.jpg

Message 13 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Can you ping 192.168.1.59?

What happens if you enter \\192.168.1.59 into the file explorer address bar?  Be careful to use the correct slash direction.

Message 14 of 18
Andy1337
Aspirant

No, I can neither ping it, browse it nor access its web interface.

Hmm, maybe I have weird subnets honestly. The NAS used to be on 192.168.1.* network but now I moved it. Will figure out a way to fix it...

Message 15 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Andy1337 wrote:

Hmm, maybe I have weird subnets honestly. The NAS used to be on 192.168.1.* network but now I moved it. Will figure out a way to fix it...

Well, it still is on a 192.168.1.x network.

If you changed your router address space, try changing it back temporarily.  Then change the NAS network connection to use DHCP (and optionally reserve an IP address in the router).

Message 16 of 18
Andy1337
Aspirant

I fixed my network issues by connecting both my computer and the NAS to a switch and "hardcoded" my IPv4 local address to something on 192.168.1.* and then I could access it and browse it. Every file intact! 

Thank you so much for your help! If you ever come to Stockholm, I will buy you a nice dinner! 😉 

Message 17 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Andy1337 wrote:

I fixed my network issues by connecting both my computer and the NAS to a switch and "hardcoded" my IPv4 local address to something on 192.168.1.* and then I could access it and browse it. Every file intact! 

Great.  I'd back up the files next (data is at more at risk, since one disk has failed).

@Andy1337 wrote:

If you ever come to Stockholm, I will buy you a nice dinner! 😉 

I've been there a couple of times - it's a great place!  But no plans to travel right now.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements