× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Dropbox Sync is changing EXIF Data / Meta Data of pictures

Flomer
Tutor

Dropbox Sync is changing EXIF Data / Meta Data of pictures

HI all,

last time I recognized that roundabout 20.000 pictures has the same acquiring date (23rd of July 2005). First I thought it is some wrong setting in my dropbox but when I had a closer look I can see that meta files and also EXIF is changed on these pictures. The acquiring date was changed for some reason! This happened on around 20k pictures of around 38k in total.

I stopped dropbox sync on Readynas immediately. Afterwards I made a small test folder and indeed it happened again when pictures had been uploaded to dropbox from readynas. I guess this happens since one of the last upgrades but not sure. It was working before - for sure! I also did a sync with dropbox client on PC to Dropbox and no data was changed. This points to the readynas dropbox sync.

I don’t know if there is something in my setup wrong or is there is something wrong in general.

But anyway - around 20k pictures are messed up and in some cases I cannot bring the original data back!!! I'm really pissed off...

I tried with every program to bring original data back but without success.

I always thought my readynas is helping me to safe my data and have everything secure. Since all my backups to other drives originating from my readynas I have no original data anymore.

I lost trust in this hardware and I'm going back to use local storage with one or two external hard drives because I don't know what happens to my data as soon as it is on the Netgear...

Did anybody else made the same experience?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Dropbox Sync is changing EXIF Data / Meta Data of pictures

I haven't seen this.  Does it happen on a share that doesn't use dropbox at all? 

Also, what firmware are you running?

Message 2 of 4
Flomer
Tutor

Hi Stephen,

I was syncing the share "pictures" to dropbox with the dropbox sync function on the "cloud" section on Admin page.

I'm using 6.6.0. But not sure when it happend. I recognized when I was searching some picutures on dropbox "pictures" homepage. I had around 20.000 entris on 23rd of July 2005.

Br, Florian

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

If you have some photos with the original dates, you could try putting them into a share that isn't synced with dropbox, just to see what happens.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements