× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Forgot ReadyNAS 1500 Password

euancrichton
Aspirant

Forgot ReadyNAS 1500 Password

Hi,

I took over the IT on site around 3 months ago and have been auditing everything.

I have two NAS drives that I was able to access but changed the passwords too, I changed the passwords and forgot to write them down (stupid mistake I know), I have tried all the passwords I can think off to no avail.

I did try the password recovery process aswering the security question and get a message that says "A new password has been sent to the specified email address" however I do not recieve anything. I did run a message trace to check and see if it was being blocked and it is not so it isn't even sending. 

I have also tried to complet an OS Reinstall following the guide below, so when I get to the 3rd light I release the SYS button but it boots back up and the IP, Password and config stay the same. So it does not seem to be reinstalling the OS?

https://kb.netgear.com/24872/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-1500-2100.

I have tried a way to contact Netgear support but it seems impossible, has anyone got any ideas so I can get into these two nas driveS?

Thanks

Model: RNRX4000 (ReadyNAS 2100)|READYNAS 2100 4TB ADVANCED NETWORK STORAGE - CHASSIS|EOL
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Forgot ReadyNAS 1500 Password

@euancrichton wrote:

I have also tried to complet an OS Reinstall following the guide below, so when I get to the 3rd light I release the SYS button but it boots back up and the IP, Password and config stay the same. So it does not seem to be reinstalling the OS?

Not sure that's exactly right.  You're supposed to press the SYS/Reset button at that point (having released it at the end of step 4).

That should reset the admin password to netgear1.  The IP address might not change, and the overall config shouldn't change either (at least not things that are visible when you can't get into the NAS web ui).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@euancrichton wrote:

Not sure that's exactly right.  You're supposed to press the SYS/Reset button at that point (having released it at the end of step 4).

That should reset the admin password to netgear1.  The IP address might not change, and the overall config shouldn't change either (at least not things that are visible when you can't get into the NAS web ui).

Message 2 of 5
euancrichton
Aspirant

Looks like I'm in! Hooray thank you, I was using password not netgear1.

However when i log in now I am prompted with the attached, can't even edit anything, am I logging into the nas via the correct link, IP/Shares? I tried IP/admin but get a connection error. 

Thanks 

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@euancrichton wrote:

However when i log in now I am prompted with the attached, can't even edit anything, am I logging into the nas via the correct link, IP/Shares? I tried IP/admin but get a connection error. 

IP/Shares is only going to show you shares that have HTTP sharing enabled.  You need to use IP/admin

You will get a self-signed cert warning with any new browser - there usually is a way to override that (clicking on advanced with Chrome). But several others have recently reported running into SSL connection error (particularly with Chrome) that can't be overriden when connecting to 4.x systems.  I haven't had a chance to confirm that myself.  If you are seeing it, then you could try using Edge (or IE if you have it installed).  Another option is to install an older version of firefox (not letting it auto-update).

Note that some 4.2.x NAS can be converted to OS-6, the 1500 can't be (it has a 32 bit architecture,and OS-6 requires 64 bit).  So that is not a way to overcome the SSL error.

Message 4 of 5
euancrichton
Aspirant

Huge help. Thank you very much.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements