× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How To Hide Recycle Bin

arnoldchoi
Aspirant

How To Hide Recycle Bin

Hello,

I'd like to know how to hide the Recycle bin folder from my explorer view. I am using an Mac, via AFP and it's really annoying to have to see the recycle bin folder.

Would appreciate any tips.

Arnold
Message 1 of 7
jaime1
Aspirant

I believe you have to go into your nas to de-activate the recycle bins. I would not recommend doing that because if you do happen to delete something, it will be gone for sure. I think even the best of us has done that at one point or another, so I recommend keeping it, but to each its own.
Message 2 of 7
chal2les
Aspirant

I believe he was referring to have the functionality of the recycle bin, but have it hidden in the folders.
Message 3 of 7
jaime1
Aspirant

If that's the case, sorry, I'm not sure you can do that. I think it's either on or off.
Message 4 of 7
super_poussin
Virtuoso

perhaps in smb.conf file adding:

hide files = /Recycle Bin/* 
veto files = /Recycle Bin/*

take a look in samba man or documentation
Message 5 of 7
arnoldchoi
Aspirant

I would like to keep the functionality of the recycle bin, but just not see it. Why isn't it hidden in the first place? Seems like an option that should be made available via Frontview.

How do you modify the SMB.conf? Will this work and has anyone tried this?

Arnold
Message 6 of 7
ChristopherC
Aspirant

Old thread, but just figured I wanted to post that the following worked for me (add to /etc/samba/smb.conf under [global] section):
hide files = /Recycle Bin/
veto files = /Recycle Bin/

I.e. similar to what super-poussin suggested, but without the * in the end (that hid all the files).
Just remember to restart samba afterwards (/etc/init.d/samba restart)
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements