× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to change the path for "Sync with PC"?

Boonpflug
Aspirant

How to change the path for "Sync with PC"?

Hi,

so I think my use-case should be rather common, but I have not yet found the info I need. I have a home computer with a RN104 and the PC has windows 10 installed on an SSD (low storage volume of course). Additionally, I have a large volume internal HDD (for performance, especially for .rar extractions, indexed searches etc..) and additionally the NAS set up with a RAID5 for redundancy. The HDD is new and has about as much storage space as my old NAS (8TB vs 4x3TB). So I would like to use the "Sync with PC" feature of the backup&sync app to sync the whole NAS to my HDD. But I cannot figure out where to choose the path for this. The app automatically uses the windows user folder, which is on the SSD, which is much too small for this. I like that the app is simple and easy to use but there seems to be no way to customize the path?

Any input appreciated

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Boonpflug wrote:

The "backup" feature seems to create files as long as there is space on the NAS, but this clutters the NAS which is also used by my partner.Also i sometimes create manual backups of the most critical backups (e.g. via robocopy), and those un-deleted files prevent this.

I don't understand what you mean by the "backup feature".  Snapshots aren't the same as backup.  RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe; you do need a backup on a different device for that (as you are doing with Robocopy).

@Boonpflug wrote:

I want to sync them. e.g. if i delete a file on the PC it is deleted on the NAS. 

It sounds like you want two-way sync.  This of course does make your data more vulnerable (increasing the attack surface to include both the NAS and the PC).  For instance, if ransomware hits the PC, you'll lose the files on the NAS too.

This is a desktop PC?  If so, then you don't need to worry about sync working over the internet.

I believe FreeFileSync will do what you want (it has a real-time sync capability).

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Boonpflug wrote:

but there seems to be no way to customize the path?

Correct.   You'll need to use a different sync tool.

Message 2 of 6
Boonpflug
Aspirant

I see, any recommendation?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Is your purpose to back up the NAS onto the PC?  

Or are you wanting to accomplish something else?

Message 4 of 6
Boonpflug
Aspirant

I want to sync them. e.g. if i delete a file on the PC it is deleted on the NAS. The sync feature seems perfect for my purpose. The "backup" feature seems to create files as long as there is space on the NAS, but this clutters the NAS which is also used by my partner. Also i sometimes create manual backups of the most critical backups (e.g. via robocopy), and those un-deleted files prevent this.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Boonpflug wrote:

The "backup" feature seems to create files as long as there is space on the NAS, but this clutters the NAS which is also used by my partner.Also i sometimes create manual backups of the most critical backups (e.g. via robocopy), and those un-deleted files prevent this.

I don't understand what you mean by the "backup feature".  Snapshots aren't the same as backup.  RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe; you do need a backup on a different device for that (as you are doing with Robocopy).

@Boonpflug wrote:

I want to sync them. e.g. if i delete a file on the PC it is deleted on the NAS. 

It sounds like you want two-way sync.  This of course does make your data more vulnerable (increasing the attack surface to include both the NAS and the PC).  For instance, if ransomware hits the PC, you'll lose the files on the NAS too.

This is a desktop PC?  If so, then you don't need to worry about sync working over the internet.

I believe FreeFileSync will do what you want (it has a real-time sync capability).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements