× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migrating Disk From Old ReadyNAS to New ReadyNAS

readynasdu0
Aspirant

Migrating Disk From Old ReadyNAS to New ReadyNAS

Upgrading from ULTRA2 to 312.

ULTRA2 has two WD Red 2TB setup on Xraid2.

312 has a single WD Red 2TB.

Files have be copied over to the 312 from the ULTRA2.

What next?

Can I simply remove disk 2 from the ULTRA2 and place into the 312 for it to format and setup as Xraid2 - leaving the first ULTRA2 disk to be removed and become the "emergency spare.

Looking to sell the ULTRA2 chassis after the switch is complete, along with an older Duo V1 chassis - ending up with running just a NV+ V2 and ReadyNas 312.
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Migrating Disk From Old ReadyNAS to New ReadyNAS

You should be able to simply remove the ultra drive and hot insert it.

If I were in your place, I'd be looking at keeping the ultra-2 (with 4 TB drives and perhaps OS6) instead of the NV+ v2. Just a thought.
Message 2 of 7
readynasdu0
Aspirant

Had considered the ULTRA with OS6 - but considered it a little "risky" as it's not officially supported upgrading the OS?

Is it generally a successful firmware process?
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

It isn't supported, but I haven't seen any posting on bricked units.

Overall, my personal take is
OS4 - tried and true, lots of features
OS5 - never really finished, and never will be
OS6 - going forward.

Though I don't have any OS5 systems.
Message 4 of 7
readynasdu0
Aspirant

Agree OS5 on the NV+ V2 seemed rough around the edges - looks prettier, but missing options.

Suppose there is no harm in trying to push the ULTRA to OS6!
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

I agree there's no harm in it, and you can always put it back to OS4 and sell it.

Of course if you are happy overall with the features the v2 has, there is no need to take it out of service.

In your case, the NV+ v2 has more bays, but the ultra2 has the faster processor. Part of my thinking is that the new large disks makes the smaller units like the ultra2 and the RN312 more interesting.
Message 6 of 7
readynasdu0
Aspirant

Just to confirm that hot swapping one data full disk from the legacy ULTRA to the 312 was successful.

The 312 offered to DESTROY the new disk within the control panel. Thankfully this wasn't a literal computer jargon translation, and simply erased all data on the disk and after 5 hours created a fully REDUNDANT ReadyNAS.

Bish. Bash. Bosh. Job done, many thanks StephenB.

Note - Netgear support would have preferred that I removed an old disk from the ULTRA, and placed into the 312 and performed a complete factory reset on the 312. Although I have data backed up onto a USB, I wasn't keen on having the up-to-date data on just one disk on a NAS in a state of despair "where's my disk 2 gone?! WHERE!?"
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements