× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migrating from ReadyNAS Ultra 2 (x86) to ReadyNAS 212 (ARM)

ChunkySocks
Guide

Migrating from ReadyNAS Ultra 2 (x86) to ReadyNAS 212 (ARM)

Hi,

Having just acquired a 212 with it's 4-core ARM processor to replace the Atom single-core on my current Ultra 2, I am wondering how best to go about the migration from using the latter to the former.

Can I just swap the 2 x 3TB HDDs out of the Ultra 2 and put them in the 212? Since the Ultra 2 uses an Intel x86 CPU and the 212 uses an ARM processor, I'm guessing perhaps not.

Regarding getting the configuration settings over to the new machine, the Ultra 2 backs up my partners macbook with TimeMachine whilst I have installed the Logitech Media Server NT app (Developer NAStools, version 7.9.0.b7dfc80-nt1) to use with all the music and a Plex Media Server to use with all film / TV.

Other than that, I installed Syncthing using the command line.

If my partner has to start afresh with her TM backups, that wouldn't be the end of the world as she has a separate TM backup elsewhere but I definitely want to have access to all the track ratings and play counts I have built up using LMS.

At some point in the future, finances permitting, I intend to upgrade the HDDs in use from 3TB to 6TB or 8TB, whether that has any bearing on the migration but just mentioning it.

I have seen a couple of other threads but couldn't find any official guidance from Netgear, is there any? In addition, do I need to worry about BIOS on either machine? I have already fired up the 212 to check it worked and both it and the Ultra 2 are running OS 6.10.3. The Ultra 2 is using X-RAID / RAID 1.

Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to reply.

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless), RNDU2000|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Migrating from ReadyNAS Ultra 2 (x86) to ReadyNAS 212 (ARM)

@ChunkySocks wrote:

Having just acquired a 212 with it's 4-core ARM processor to replace the Atom single-core on my current Ultra 2, I am wondering how best to go about the migration from using the latter to the former.

Can I just swap the 2 x 3TB HDDs out of the Ultra 2 and put them in the 212? Since the Ultra 2 uses an Intel x86 CPU and the 212 uses an ARM processor, I'm guessing perhaps not.

I have already fired up the 212 to check it worked and both it and the Ultra 2 are running OS 6.10.3.

You can, but you need to uninstall all your apps first (since they are platform dependent).  Then reinstall them after the migration.

There is some risk, since the normal (e.g., better tested) migration path is from arm->x86, not the other way around.  In either direction, it is best to make a full backup first.

Though what I'd do myself is get new disks for the new NAS.  Then migrate the files using ReadyNAS backup jobs (one per share).  Then re-purpose the Ultra as a backup NAS.  If you go down this path, then I suggest avoiding 2-6 TB WD EFAX Red drives, as they are SMR.  Either go with 8 TB drives or larger, or go with Seagate Ironwolf.

Message 2 of 10
ChunkySocks
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

@ChunkySocks wrote:

I have already fired up the 212 to check it worked and both it and the Ultra 2 are running OS 6.10.3.

You can, but you need to uninstall all your apps first (since they are platform dependent).  Then reinstall them after the migration.

There is some risk, since the normal (e.g., better tested) migration path is from arm->x86, not the other way around.  In either direction, it is best to make a full backup first.

Though what I'd do myself is get new disks for the new NAS.  Then migrate the files using ReadyNAS backup jobs (one per share).  Then re-purpose the Ultra as a backup NAS.  If you go down this path, then I suggest avoiding 2-6 TB WD EFAX Red drives, as they are SMR.  Either go with 8 TB drives or larger, or go with Seagate Ironwolf.

Thanks for your reply.

Re: ARM x86

That's strange, I had assumed that since the 212 was a more recent model of ReadyNAS than the Ultra 2, that Netgear had transitioned from using Intel x86 to ARM processors... or have they always used different processors depending on the ReadyNAS model? Amyway, I hope I am correct in that the 212 should represent an improvement in performance over the Ultra 2, though dependent on the my use case I suppose.

The information I most value using the Ultra 2 is all the track ratings and play counts used by the Logitech Media Server, so if there isn't a LMS ARM app, then I may not even be able to proceed with the migration.

I agree that in an ideal situation, I would have the new disks to insert into new NAS but... I don't currently have the funds to acquire 2 x 8TB drives. If a good deal comes up for some 8TB external HDDs that I can shuck, hope they are WD REDs and use, great, I'm all in but for the moment I will have to proceed with what I currently have.

You mention re-purposing the Ultra 2 as a backup NAS, can I ask why? Is this through an overabundance of caution for extra redundancy since a single NAS using RAID 1 will already have redundancy?

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@ChunkySocks wrote:

You mention re-purposing the Ultra 2 as a backup NAS, can I ask why? Is this through an overabundance of caution for extra redundancy since a single NAS using RAID 1 will already have redundancy?

<backup lecture> RAID redundancy doesn't replace the need for backup.  RAID simply isn't enough to keep your data safe - there are many, many posts here from folks who made that assumption, and learned that lesson the hard way.

RAID allows you to deal with routine disk replacements (including single disk failures) w/o losing access to your data.  It also allows you to expand your volume easily.  It is largely about data availability, not data safety.

Looking more broadly at what causes data loss, there are many threats where RAID is of no value.

• user error
  • ransomware or malware
  • physical threats - power surge due to lightning, theft, fire, flood, etc
  • hardware or software problems with the chassis that corrupt the file system,
  • multiple disk failures (which happen more than you might think).

A solid backup plan addresses threats like these.  A backup NAS can protect against many of the threats above (though it doesn't cover the physical threats).  Personally I keep three copies of everything I care about - and I do use cloud backup to address the physical threats.

If you don't have a backup of your data on a different device, then at some point you will lose it.  It's just a matter of time.

Cost is of course a consideration.  But data recovery is very expensive (and often the data can't be recovered).  So IMO the best strategy is to expand your backup system as your storage needs increase.  At the very least, make sure your irreplaceable files (personal photos/videos, personal documents) are well backed up.  And also think about how hard it would be to recover your LMS library from scratch.</backup lecture>

@ChunkySocks wrote:

Re: ARM x86

That's strange, I had assumed that since the 212 was a more recent model of ReadyNAS than the Ultra 2, that Netgear had transitioned from using Intel x86 to ARM processors... 

Your history here isn't right. The short story is that for a long time they've had entry level products that weren't x86, combined with performance products that were x86.  Over time the entry level product performance has improved a lot.

Here's the longer version:

The original ReadyNAS platforms used Sparc processors (and run 4.1.x firmware). 

Later on the higher-performing Pro, Ultra family were introduced (which run 4.2.x firmware, unless converted to OS-6).  These did not replace the Sparc line - those products instead were re-positioned as entry-level NAS.

By 2011, the Sparc platforms were no longer competitive, and Netgear replaced them with transition products (NV+ v2, Duo v2).  These use arm processors, and run 5.3.x firmware.  So at this point Netgear offered Arm for the entry level NAS, and x86 for higher performance.

In 2013, OS-6 platforms were introduced.  The RN100 was arm (and entry level), the other models (RN300 and above) were x86. The  RN200 line was introduced a bit later on, and offered quite a bit higher performance than the RN100 (more memory, and 4 cores instead of 2).  More recently they retired the RN100 (along with the RN300 and the RN51x models). 

@ChunkySocks wrote:
I hope I am correct in that the 212 should represent an improvement in performance over the Ultra 2, though dependent on the my use case I suppose.

It is faster than the ultra 2.  The ultras generally deliver ~60 MB/sec large file transfer speeds.  The RN212 delivers over 100 MB/sec (limited by the speed of gigabit ethernet).

ReadyNAS x86 platforms do have some additional features, and the higher end models can handle more CPU intensive apps more easily (for instance plex transcoding).  Though the RN214 can also transcode HD to SD in realtime.  Also, there are some apps that are x86-only.

@ChunkySocks wrote:

The information I most value using the Ultra 2 is all the track ratings and play counts used by the Logitech Media Server, so if there isn't a LMS ARM app, then I may not even be able to proceed with the migration.

I don't use LMS myself, but other users here have posted that they have installed it on their RN212 systems.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Logitech-Media-Server-work-out-of-t...

Message 4 of 10
ChunkySocks
Guide

Thanks for your informative and useful post.

Yes, I would like to think that I mitigate against data loss with a cloud backup + a mirrored external drive backup of my music. My partner also has another TM backup separate to the one on the NAS + a cloned drive.

Basically, I don't wish to have two NASes nor do I have the space or the spare network connections, so keeping the Ultra 2 isn't something I am going to do.

Although it could be worthy of an entirely separate thread, I did want to ask some advice about whether it is worth the trouble to utilise the link aggregation facility; considering that I would either have to buy a network switch or a better router since I only have 4 ethernet slots on the one that my ISP provides, to take advantage of the better performance that this NAS provides over the Ultra 2?

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@ChunkySocks wrote:

Basically, I don't wish to have two NASes nor do I have the space or the spare network connections

That's reasonable, since you already have a backup plan in place.  Of course I didn't know that when I suggested that option.

@ChunkySocks wrote:

Although it could be worthy of an entirely separate thread, I did want to ask some advice about whether it is worth the trouble to utilise the link aggregation facility;

In my opinion it is not worth the trouble for most people.  I do have LACP enabled on my Pro-6, but that is mostly because I can, not because it helps with performance.

Link Aggregation is most useful when you have a lot of devices accessing the NAS at the same time. 

After all, your devices are limited by their own network connection to the router, so aggregating the NAS link to the router won't help at all if you are only accessing from one device.

And even with simultaneous access from two devices, the link aggregation methods frequently don't do a good job of load-balancing the traffic.  There's a 50-50 chance both devices will share the same link to the NAS on reads, and a 50-50 chance both will share the same link to the NAS on writes (the load-balancing is done by by the sender - the switch or the NAS in this case).  So you only get the full performance gain in both directions 25% of the time. (Note the load balancing is based on the mac address of the devices, so it would always perform the same way with any particular pair of devices).

It comes into its own when you have a lot of devices accessing the NAS simultaneously,  And most home users just don't have that. 

Message 6 of 10
ChunkySocks
Guide

9 months later…

A quick recap as I'm in a position to proceed & here is my current situation.

Both current & "new" NAS are attached to my network.
In the
Message 7 of 10
ChunkySocks
Guide

9 months later…

A quick recap as I'm in a position to proceed & here is my current situation:

• both current & "new" NAS are attached to my network
  • in the new NAS I have 2 x 12TB HDDs on which Disk Format has been completed & Volume data resynced, nothing else.
  • both are running 6.10.4 Hotfix 1

So in my current NAS, I have 2 x 3TB HDDs and it was used for:

• TimeMachine backups*
  • Plex Media Server
  • Logitech Media Server
  • Syncthing

*Re: TimeMachine backups, I've decided it's simpler to just delete them. It was my partner's backups as a Private Time Machine but will maybe start with a fresh backup on the new NAS as she has an additional TM backup anyway.

@StephenB wrote:

you need to uninstall all your apps first (since they are platform dependent).  Then reinstall them after the migration.

Though what I'd do myself is get new disks for the new NAS.  Then migrate the files using ReadyNAS backup jobs (one per share).

I would just like to run the steps I need to take here to see if I understand this:

1. uninstall apps
  2. take out both HDDs from current NAS and insert into "new" one
  3. let the "new" NAS recognise them and settle them in
  4. take one of the 3TB HDDs out & replace with a 12TB HDD
  5. let the data resync from the remaining 3TB disk to the 12TB disk
  6. swap out the remaining 3TB disk for the remaining 12TB disk
  7. let the data resync
  8. reinstall apps

Is that basically how it should go?

The problem I have at the moment that is preventing me from proceeding is uninstalling the programs I use on my current NAS. It is only the Plex Media Server that appears in the Apps view, so that can be removed, no problem.

However, I'm now using Logitech Media Server 8.1.1 which was installed using SSH & the command line so... my question here, how do I uninstall it? It is also very important that uninstalling it not delete any of my track ratings, play counts etc. but that shouldn't, right? 

The same goes with Syncthing, that was installed via the same way although incorrectly, since I did it as a privileged or system user rather than as a normal user account

If I wasn't changing from an x86 NAS to an ARM NAS, would uninstalling these apps even be necessary? So because I'm changing NAS that have different chip architectures, I've got to erase all vestiges of the programs for x86 in order to replace them with the program files that are written for ARM processors... but without deleting some files of data that I want to keep... hmmm.

Does migrating the data using ReadyNAS backup jobs make more sense? Wouldn't I still need to uninstall these apps before if I went down that route too though?

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@ChunkySocks wrote:

If I wasn't changing from an x86 NAS to an ARM NAS, would uninstalling these apps even be necessary?

It's only required if you want to directly migrate your existing disks from x86 to arm (or vice versa)

@ChunkySocks wrote:

Does migrating the data using ReadyNAS backup jobs make more sense? 

Yes (assuming the current NAS is running, which it seems to be).

To do that, you'd install the 2x12 TB disks in the new NAS, and set it up.  It's simplest to match the share names on the old NAS.  Then wait for resync to complete (it's faster to wait, though that is counter-intuitive). 

Create a backup job for each share on the new NAS.  I generally use rsync (which would require you to enable rsync on the old NAS) - but you can also just use the Windows Timestamp protocol for this.  A tip here - use the old NAS's IP address generally is more reliable than using the hostname.

Then install the apps on the new NAS (hopefully you'll be able to find them all).  I don't know how to migrate the LMS database though - it's not an app I use.

@ChunkySocks wrote:

Wouldn't I still need to uninstall these apps before if I went down that route too though?

That depends on what you want to do with the old NAS.  But if you use backup jobs, the existing ultra 2 disks won't ever be in the RN212.  So you don't need to uninstall anything on the old NAS.

Message 9 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

@ChunkySocks wrote:

Does migrating the data using ReadyNAS backup jobs make more sense? 

Yes (assuming the current NAS is running, which it seems to be).

This will not retain your LMS data, though there may be another way to transfer it.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements