× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NVX OS Upgrade with a current version

zevedei
Aspirant

NVX OS Upgrade with a current version

Hello, I don't know if this the right sub-forum to post but I would like to upgrade my NVX to a current version of Linux that can be update with the current bugfixes and security issues, and also it should allow me to add new packages and develop and compile software.

I'm ready to accept that may be some loss of functionality including the RAID capability as long as the drives are accessible by the OS.

With the latest Netgear FW it's not even possible to install anything, especially the build essentials :(.

If somebody has already did that and can share the recipe with me or indicate the forum post that deal with this I would be very grateful, I did try to search but unfortunately nothing relevant comes to me.

I really LOVE the form factor of the box and I would like to keep it but I have to be able to have modern versions of the SW because the box will face the Internet and be used as a small web/file/SIP server.

Also I'm quite proficient with the hardware so I'm not afraid if some soldering is needed ( i.e for a console cable).

Many thanks for your help, Zevedei
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NVX OS Upgrade with a current version

Did you try

# apt-get update
# apt-get install build-essential

As for installing a current version of Linux, the NVX has a 32-bit CPU so your options are more limited.

You would need to find a way to install e.g. Debian on the NAS. Do note that installing a 3rd party OS voids the warranty (though that has likely expired already).
Message 2 of 8
zevedei
Aspirant

Hi mdgm and thank you for your reply, of course I did what you're telling me, I've checked the package sources as well, somehow Netgear did some customizations that worked at that time for them but hindered all the updates and development, I did search more and find that even with extensive tweaking the installing stops around some libc6 dependencies at the moment the person that tried gave up.
I find it strange that having a 32bit Intel CPU is now a sign of complete obsolescence, I think that 80% of world PCs are 32bit and is not going away anytime soon.
The warranty of course is long gone.
So, is there anybody that knows to install another un-screwed version of Linux on that hw or should I just throw it away ?
Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

By more limited I meant you can't put OS6 on it.
Message 4 of 8
zevedei
Aspirant

Ah, now I see, about this I've read already, OS6 is a 64bit version of Netgear's customized Linux, it was clear form the beginning that this is not an option.
I'm interested anyway in a more "vanilla flavour" of Linux that can be updated normally form the distribution repositories, if I lose the ability to hw RAID is OK, I can live with the SW raid as long as I can see the individual disks, is not that I'm doing a new Google but just a small personal server.

Cheers, Zevedei

P.S> I'll try to connect to the serial console and be back eventually for a bit of hand holding.
Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Btw RAIDiator 4.2.x uses SW RAID not HW RAID.
Message 6 of 8
zevedei
Aspirant

Really ?!?!?!? OMG, I thought that this whole mess is due to the fact that somewhere is a super secret/proprietary controller driver, I was doing lsmod and didn't see anything out of ordinary and was actually wondering what's the deal.
Well then, if there aren't any strange hw devices around that need special drivers my hopes are up in succeeding to put a "normal" Linux on it.
Also now for an EOL product, Netgear will be super sweet to release the building chain or at least drop some hints.

Thanks for your reply, Zevedei
Message 7 of 8
zevedei
Aspirant

OK, I have now a beautiful serial console on my ReadyNAS NVX, the console port is behind the unit covered with a sticker ( thanks mdgm 🙂 and it has 4 pins, for anybody interested to have a serial console:
[ GND RxD TxD 3.3VCC ]

The serial parameters are 9600 8n1 XON/XOFF

I have used a very cheap TTL USB to Serial from EBAY: http://www.ebay.de/itm/201204646417
The wires are connected from left to right: Black, Green White, the Red wire must NOT be connected anywhere (pictures at request).
With the serial port you can see the booting sequence, connect to the console and manage the system like a normal Linux box.

I have two problems left: how do I boot and install another Linux distribution with an uptodate kernel and libraries, does anybody have any suggestions ?
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements