× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need a New NAS | Plex & Intel Quick Sync Video

grimloch
Aspirant

Need a New NAS | Plex & Intel Quick Sync Video

I have two old 6-bay ReadyNAS Pros with upgraded CPUs.  They are long in the tooth and just not getting the job done anymore.  I do a lot of streaming with Plex and transcoding 1080p is more than they can handle most of the time, and now with 4k content forget about it.  After doing a lot of reading, I've come to the conclusion that my next NAS must have a processor that supports Intel Quick Sync Video (Kaby Lake or newer), and I'm not seeing anything in the ReadyNAS line that fits the bill.

My first ReadyNAS was an NV, back in the good ol' Infrant days!  I like the community even though the old forums were better.  Glad a few Jedi are still around.  I also like the ReadyNAS UI and add-ons, so I don't want to leave, and I'm hoping someone somewhere might have some info on when the the next iterations may be announced with better streaming support.  Wishful thinking?

Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Need a New NAS | Plex & Intel Quick Sync Video

You can look at the past release history and make you own mind up as to when you might expect its likely that we'll refresh the product line next. We introduced the RN526X and RN626X back in September 2016 and introduced the RN516 back in March 2013.

The RN626X and RN628X have a quad-core CPU. It's a very powerful CPU.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Need a New NAS | Plex & Intel Quick Sync Video

@mdgm-ntgr wrote:

The RN626X and RN628X have a quad-core CPU. It's a very powerful CPU.

That's true, but 4K transcoding is limited even on those machines.

For folks using Plex, it would be great to have a reasonable GPU in order to improve transcoding performance.  Adding a thunderbolt port might be one path, then you could potentially use an external GPU. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements