× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN10200 RAID 1 Drive Replacement

RGWinSXM
Aspirant

RN10200 RAID 1 Drive Replacement

This RN 10200S has a degraded Dixk 1 (not showing on Admin screen). Data is available on Disk 2 (configured as RAID 1). the drives are Seagate Barracude 200o GB Drives.

1.) Can I (safely) swap out a replacement drive and let the system rebuild the mirror? I would cold swap the drives as very least.

2.) If yes, do I need to place the functional Drive 2 with data from Bay 2 to Bay 1 and place the new drive in Bay 2?

3.) Does it matter what drive I replace the drive (manufacturer, model, etc.) with as long as it is of an equal or greater size?

Thanks in advance for your help and support in addressing this issue!

Model: ReadyNAS-1000S|ReadyNAS-1000S
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN10200 RAID 1 Drive Replacement

@RGWinSXM wrote:

1.) Can I (safely) swap out a replacement drive and let the system rebuild the mirror? I would cold swap the drives as very least. 

I recommend hot-swapping

@RGWinSXM wrote:

2.) If yes, do I need to place the functional Drive 2 with data from Bay 2 to Bay 1 and place the new drive in Bay 2?

Absolutely not.  It's better to preserve the slot order.

@RGWinSXM wrote:

3.) Does it matter what drive I replace the drive (manufacturer, model, etc.) with as long as it is of an equal or greater size?

You can mix/match models, as long as the size is the same or greater.  If the new drive is slower, then there could be some performance dropoff.  However, the RN102 is limited by it's processor, so in your particular case that shouldn't factor in.

I recommend getting a NAS-purposed disk (WDC Red, WDC Red Pro, Seagate Ironwolf, Seagate Ironwolf Pro).   They are better choices than desktop drives for NAS/RAID use.

Message 2 of 4
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @RGWinSXM

Welcome to the Community!

You may also want to check the following threads regarding replacing drives on a ReadyNAS OS6 system

Replacing Disk

Disk Compatibility page

Regards

Message 3 of 4
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @RGWinSXM

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements