× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN10400 WONT BOOT - NO LIGHTS ON FRONT, BUT NETWORK LINK LIGHT FLASHES

ctw1969
Aspirant

RN10400 WONT BOOT - NO LIGHTS ON FRONT, BUT NETWORK LINK LIGHT FLASHES

I upgraded the firmware to v6.9.4 and the update applied OK without issue and the unit rebooted sucessfully and I was able to log back onto the admin page.

The next day I could not reach the drive unit by the network and when checking the unit it appeared to be off. I tried pressing the power button but to no avail. The fan is not rotating, but moves freely. The drives do not appear to spinning up which would indicate a power issue. However on the back of the unit when the power is plugged in, the network link light flashes (with or without a network cable plugged in). Anyone any ideas, as there does appear to be power going to the unit, but not getting through to actually fully power up the unit?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Maybe insufficient power.  But more likely, one or more of the voltages is missing or the power-on circuit is non-functional.  While the units with external power bricks just get 12V from it, there is an internal regulator that creates the other necessary voltages.  If one or more is missing, the NAS is not going to function  The NIC runs off "+5V Standby", which stays on regardless of the condition of the power-on circuit (and also powers the switch circuit), so it's not a good indictor of the other possible issues.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Maybe insufficient power.  But more likely, one or more of the voltages is missing or the power-on circuit is non-functional.  While the units with external power bricks just get 12V from it, there is an internal regulator that creates the other necessary voltages.  If one or more is missing, the NAS is not going to function  The NIC runs off "+5V Standby", which stays on regardless of the condition of the power-on circuit (and also powers the switch circuit), so it's not a good indictor of the other possible issues.

Message 2 of 5
ctw1969
Aspirant

If I buy a second hand replacement unit from somewhere like Ebay, am I able to tranfer the drives over, or will the RAID be lost?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@ctw1969 wrote:

If I buy a second hand replacement unit from somewhere like Ebay, am I able to tranfer the drives over, or will the RAID be lost?

You can migrate the disks to another OS-6 NAS with no data loss.  That would include the RN100, RN200, RN300, RN400, RN500, RN600, and RN700 desktop series.

If you get an X86 NAS (RN300 or above), you should install a scratch disk first in the new NAS, and install the same firmware version that is on the RN104.  Then power down the new NAS, and migrate the disks.  I suggest preserving the slot order.

There is no warranty or paid support available on used NAS, so you should take that into account.

BTW, the warranty on your RN104 is 3 years, so if you are the original purchaser you should check your warranty status.

Message 4 of 5
ctw1969
Aspirant

Thank your for your confirmation. I bought the ReadyNAS in January 2014, so it's out of warranty, but thanks for heads up regarding it. Appriciate your input and detailed response

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements