× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN214 ISCSI Alert message less than 10% free space but Windows shows 4.64 TB free of 9.71 TB

NickDaGeekUK
Follower

RN214 ISCSI Alert message less than 10% free space but Windows shows 4.64 TB free of 9.71 TB

Ok Readynas has always had a bug that once you assign an ISCSI LUN extent the OS treats that space as used.

As soon as I created the Raid Array and assigned the pair of LUNs to it the OS showed 9.71 consumed. At this point I had put no data on the drives so I know that is erroneous.

Have happily been running the unit as a backup repository for Veeam for a year and Windows is showing that we have consumed 4.64 TB across both LUNs 1.36 TB out of  2.72 TB on one and 3.28 TB out of 6.99 TB on the other. i.e. nowhere near 90% on either LUN.

Just last week the ReadyNas started emailing me alerts saying that it is nearly full

"Less than 10% of volume RN214 capacity is free. RN214 performance is degraded and you risk running out of usable space. To improve performance and stability, you must add capacity or make free space."

I have tried a reboot and a firmware upgrade to the latest stable all to no avail.

any ideas? Screenshot 2021-08-27 133335.jpgScreenshot 2021-08-27 133248.jpgScreenshot 2021-08-27 133503.jpg

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN214 ISCSI Alert message less than 10% free space but Windows shows 4.64 TB free of 9.71 TB

That's not an error, it's how "Thick" LUN provisioning works, which is the default.  A SCSI LUN is just a mass storage area from the NAS's perspective.  It has no idea of the format, files, etc.  That's up to the using device.  With a "thick", provision, the entire amount assigned is allocated immidiately upon creation.  If you want the space allocated as needed, you need to use "thin" provisioning.  See the KB located here: ReadyDATA-Thick-Provisioned-LUN-vs-Thin-Provisioned-LUN to see the potential pitfalls of thin provisioning.  While it was wriitten for the ReadyData, it applies to the ReadyNAS as well.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN214 ISCSI Alert message less than 10% free space but Windows shows 4.64 TB free of 9.71 TB

@Sandshark wrote:

That's not an error, it's how "Thick" LUN provisioning works, which is the default.  

Totally agree, it is not a bug.  The LUNs are opaque to the NAS, and the file containers behind them are sized for the entire LUN.

@NickDaGeekUK - you could create new smaller LUNS (or maybe thin ones), or increase your storage capacity. I don't recommend running your system over 90% (esp. if you have snapshots turned on anywhere).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements