× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN516 Memory Upgrade

btaroli
Prodigy

Re: RN516 Memory Upgrade

It's bern a bit since I did one on an older model, but if it has an LED display the status will be shown there. I took the effort to hook up a display to my 516 but the same basic step and results info was shown on the LED as well.
Message 26 of 37
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

On the Ultra 6 and other units with a display, I think some text will show on the display on the front.
Message 27 of 37
tijgert
Guide

Thanks, and being curious in nature, what would I see if I hooked either unit up to a screen?
Would there be a post and maybe a bios enter option?
I'm thinking of acquiring a VGA breakout cable to hook up my old Ultra just so I can see...
Message 28 of 37
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You would see the memory test progress on the VGA display.
Message 29 of 37
RezzZ
Tutor

Thanks all!
I'll check the logs tomorrow after my backup jobs are all finished... backing up to USB sucks. takes me 2,5/3 days to copy 6TB.

I assume I can just run the memory test from putty and watch from there too right? Don't need to hook up a screen for that?
Message 30 of 37
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Better to use the boot menu (less stuff running). The display on the front of the NAS should show the progress.
Message 31 of 37
tijgert
Guide

Dude.. I had to copy 24TB times 2... I've been busy setting it all up for over a month now...
How does putty work then?
Message 32 of 37
RezzZ
Tutor

tijgert wrote:
Dude.. I had to copy 24TB times 2... I've been busy setting it all up for over a month now...

if you have EnableRootSSH_1.0-x86 installed on your readynas you can login with putty via ssh. You can then execute any command as if you are in the terminal window on any other linux machine.
Message 33 of 37
RezzZ
Tutor

tijgert wrote:

btw, you have 6x4tb installed in your readynas ultra6 without a spare/parity drive in case one crashes? Or is it max 5*4 tb so 18.x TB. still a lot of course 😄
Message 34 of 37
RezzZ
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
If you download the logs zip file, one of the logs for the memory shows this. You can see how much is being used for caching and how much swap is used. If you are using a lot for caching but not swap then a memory upgrade likely won't make a significant difference. However if you are using your swap a lot then a memory upgrade may make some difference.

We don't support memory upgrades, but you can do them on our models which use Intel CPUs e.g. the Ultra 6. If you do do one on be sure to run at least a few passes of the memory test boot menu option.

I found the following in the mem_info.log:
MemTotal: 1012744 kB
MemFree: 30020 kB
Buffers: 275088 kB
Cached: 250672 kB
SwapCached: 34456 kB
~~~>
SwapTotal: 1572668 kB
SwapFree: 1529956 kB
~~~>

I only have a few megs physical memory left and don't use much of my swap (~42MB). I guess I don't really need an upgrade but a minor update might be worth it. Got 2x2GB sitting 'dead' in an old PC atm so wouldn't cost me a thing untill I sell that pc.. So memtest would be the first thing to do this evening after pluggin in those dims.
Message 35 of 37
RezzZ
Tutor

so just installed 4GB ram I had lying. Must say, just the admin console was already much more responsive and snappy as before. I also just installed 6.1.9 and all seems working great. Fan speed is just fine and temps are showing (history too). CPU 25 (started from 21) and system 34 (started on 32). Did I read somewhere that these temps are off, or is this fixed in the prebuild 6.1.9?

It takes roughly 7,5 hours to rebuild my raid5 array of 4x3TB disks. After that it's time to copy my backuped data back to the nas.
Message 36 of 37
tijgert
Guide

btw, you have 6x4tb installed in your readynas ultra6 without a spare/parity drive in case one crashes? Or is it max 5*4 tb so 18.x TB. still a lot of course 😄

Well, it's 5 times 6TB in both NASes. Raid5 so 24TB per NAS to copy but 'only' 22 TB is really used.
But I did try OS6 on my old Ultra 6 before and later reverted (factory defaulted) so I copied 66TB in total, at least... I'm tired... 🙂
Message 37 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements