× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN516 bios & memory

SCUBAInstructor
Aspirant

RN516 bios & memory

Hi

I have an RN516 which I would like to upgrade.

With 2x 8GB the system will not boot. (I have upgraded the cpu already to i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz)

Removing one stick (black slot) and the system boots.

Do I need a bios update to allow 16GB?

I have a RDD516 (running ReadyNas, so it is in fact an RN516 after a small bios hack).

The two memory sticks I would like to install in the RN516 just run fine in RDD516.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN516 bios & memory

Yes, it sounds like a hardware issue.  Check that there is no debris affecting contact in the slot, but that's about all you can do.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Netgear has never released information on the 516 BIOS nor any method to update it, but it's certainly possible that's the issue.  What versions and dates are in bios_ver.log in the downloaded log .zip files for each unit?

As I understand it, there are BIOS settings that may need to be changed when the BIOS is updated, and what those changes are depend on where you're coming from as well as where you are going, which is why Netgear never released a BIOS update package.

Message 2 of 10
SCUBAInstructor
Aspirant

RDD516 (16GB)

/sys/class/dmi/id/bios_date
::::::::::::::
10/11/2013
/sys/class/dmi/id/bios_version
/sys/class/dmi/id/product_serial
3JU3480200F26

RN516 (1x 8GB)

10/11/2013
/sys/class/dmi/id/product_serial
3C88480X00854

Looks like it is the same. Will attach a monitor and keyboard tomorrow to check if there is some option in the BIOS.

Message 3 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

@SCUBAInstructor wrote:

RN516 (1x 8GB)

10/11/2013

Looks like it is the same. Will attach a monitor and keyboard tomorrow to check if there is some option in the BIOS.

And, AFAIK, the latest version.

Message 4 of 10
SCUBAInstructor
Aspirant

Attached monitor and keyboard. As expected nothing in regards to memory.

Whatever I do if a RAM stick is present in the black slot it does not boot, not even into bios. The fans are spinning at high speed (like normal startup but that never stops). If there is not jumper setting etc. I guess I am stuck with a "defect" board and 8GB.

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@SCUBAInstructor wrote:

Whatever I do if a RAM stick is present in the black slot it does not boot, not even into bios. 

Likely you tried this, but just in case - did you try moving both sticks from the rdd516 into the rn516?

Message 6 of 10
SCUBAInstructor
Aspirant

Yes, tried that, only one is working in RN516 (if the other is in the black slot it does not work).

Message 7 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, it sounds like a hardware issue.  Check that there is no debris affecting contact in the slot, but that's about all you can do.

Message 8 of 10
SCUBAInstructor
Aspirant

Just found an RDD516 case (no hd, no trays).
What would be the best solution. transfer motherboard from the new RDD516 to RN516 or move the disks from RN516 to RDD516?

I will apply again the small bios fix so that the RDD becomes an RN device.

Message 9 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

I'd move the drives.  But if you are going to be upgrading the processor anyway, I guess it doesn't matter.  When the time comes you want to sell it, I doubt it'll make much difference that it has a sticker that says RDD instead or RN, but it may make a difference that the serial number on the sticker doesn't match the reported one.  Just make sure you use a scratch disk first and load the same version of ReadyNAS OS to it before you transfer the drives.

Of course, the RDD will already come with more memory, too.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements