× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RNDP6310-100NAS How to upgrade CPU to E7500 or E7600

Deal
Tutor

RNDP6310-100NAS How to upgrade CPU to E7500 or E7600

The Model selector above would not let me select my old model. It is the ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition (RNDP6000-100NAS model), but long ago (2014) I upgraded it with 6x6TB drives installed, and I recently upgraded to 8GB RAM and the FLAME v2.0 BIOS in preparation for a CPU upgrade. The ReadyNAS is currently running fine (no errors in system log) like this as far as I can tell.

Based on threads I've read here, I'm looking to upgrading the CPU on my ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition and when successful, maybe follow that with an upgrade to OS6.

But this post is just about the CPU upgrade. I have an E7500 CPU and an E7600 CPU that I could upgrade to. I've removed the cover of the unit and the CPU fan and I see where the processor/heat sink is, but I'm not sure how to remove it safely and replace it with the E7600. I tried loosening the big silver screws which seem to mount the heatsink to the processor, but there wasn't much give as I loosened them, and I was reluctant to use more force or to remove the screws completely as I wasn't sure of what I was doing. So I wonder if I'm going about this the right way. Am I missing a step or is there another better way to replace the processor? Or is it not possible in my model (first revision I believe). Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

- David

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Deal

You will have to remove the Heatsink and Fan which I think is built together by removing the screws or if there are locking pins on it. The thermal paste needs to be loosened from the heat sink and the installed CPU so you might need to give it some twist.

You should be able to see the processor after that. You will have to unlock the pin and replace. 

(ctto)

download (2).jpg

This link might be of helped.

HTH

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
Deal
Tutor

Just to be clear, the question I'm asking is how to remove the CPU and heatsink safely from the machine so I can replace it. I would also note that I believe I have the first revision of the ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition (2008 model), not the 2010 model.

I'm also new to the O/S (Linux), so if there are steps that I must do there, specifics and direction would really be helpful. I have enabled SSH but haven't used it much and don't really know how to edit files. I believe it may be required to raise the minimum fan RPM to a higher value to keep system heat below the warning levels.

Thx

- David

Message 2 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Deal

You will have to remove the Heatsink and Fan which I think is built together by removing the screws or if there are locking pins on it. The thermal paste needs to be loosened from the heat sink and the installed CPU so you might need to give it some twist.

You should be able to see the processor after that. You will have to unlock the pin and replace. 

(ctto)

download (2).jpg

This link might be of helped.

HTH

Regards

Message 3 of 7
Deal
Tutor

Thanks Marc -- helps to know. I guess it's like I thought it was, but it's good to validate it with someone knowledgeable before using too much force. I'll give it a try.

BTW, your link caused a security warning in my browser -- kinda scary, but I'm guessing it would have been ok to view. I didn't proceed to the link just in case. Thanks for the tips!

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Deal wrote:

BTW, your link caused a security warning in my browser -- kinda scary, 

The warning just means that the web site doesn't use https (encryption). 

Message 5 of 7
Deal
Tutor

Thanks StephenB. I thought it was probably harmless, but wasn't sure.

Message 6 of 7
Deal
Tutor

Marc,

I upgraded the CPU without a hitch just as you suggested. Thanks for your help!

David

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements